Toilet flapper leak

Had a leak and thought I had fixed it. Neither the flapper or the shut off were working properly and the toilet *ran* constantly albeit slowly. Replaced the shut off assembly with a newer type and everything worked fine, for a while.

Then the flapper started leaking again. Replaced the whole assembly but it still trickles causing the water to go on and off every 10 minutes or so.

Am I missing some routine toilet problem? The new flapper assembly seems a bit on the cheap side, are they prone to leakage? TIA for any help.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Did you clean the inlet that the flapper valve mates with? Use steel wool to remove any crud on the inlet which could interfere with a good seal.

Reply to
Wa6tkq

Did that. It has a tapered rubber seal. Looks to me like if *that* were the problem area, it would leak to the outside instead of trickling down the inside of the bowl.

Reply to
F.H.

Upon closer inspection, seems not. I'll try an R&R, maybe needs to be tighter.

Reply to
F.H.

Are you certain it is the flapper leaking? How about the tube into the overflow pipe? The end of it is not below the full water level is it? It it is there will be a slow siphon that gives you the same symptoms.

Reply to
HRL

I prefer to use a piece of nylon stocking. Removes the crud without deforming the surface face. And I prefer to use a "Korky" flapper. Still not more than a dollar.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Do you put those toilet bowl cleaning blocks (donuts or whatever they're called) in the tanks? I think Lysol and Clorox makes them - maybe some other brands. They'll eat the flapper in no time.

Kim

Reply to
K, T, E & N