Toilet flapper leaking

Toilet flapper leaking down a bit toilet refils in about 30 seconds, any fixes short of replaceing the rubber flapper.

I already flushed and cleaned the flapper and the flapper seat.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Replace it. It is cheap and also there is no other fix than the ones you have tried.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

You might be using the wrong flapper. Make sure it is the right one for your unit or try a few different shaped ones. This stopped mine from leaking.

Reply to
Dick Wells

Don't overlook the seal between the seat and the tank. That is the likely culprit if the flapper is leaking. Try tightening it first but you may have to improvise a tool. The proper tool comes with a new seat. Blue

Reply to
Blue

Are you certain it is the flapper?

How about the overflow tube? Is it above the water line? If it is shoved too far down into the overflow tube it will siphon.

Reply to
HRL
040731 1947 - tflfb posted:

The best way to handle this is to watch it work. Take the cover off the toilet tank and watch the flushing operation. When the flapper seats, put a little pressure on it and see if you can make it seat better. Sometimes these things just get old and out of alignment and don't position themselves properly anymore, so a little tinkering with it may make all the difference.

Reply to
indago

get a new flapper.. they cost about $1.98 in most hardware stores.. then you dont have to worry about cleaning it.. its the rubber thats coming apart that lets it leak...

Reply to
dbird

My house has three bathrooms and of the three, there is one toilet that has been a continual problem for the houses 18 year life. The other two are just fine. For that one, it will "top off" about three or four times a day. Not as bad as your problem, but still a PITA. I have put in several new valves and floats of different types, several different types of flappers, resurfaced the seat for the flapper with some 600 grit sandpaper and a sanding block, checked to make sure everything is tight, took the thing apart and put in all new sealants, and still it leaks. I was talking to a neighbor not too long ago and he told me that he had the same problem with one of his toilets (oddly enough, he had the same model house and it was the toilet in the same location in his house). He replaced the toilet and no more problem. I just might be in the market for a new toilet myself. That might be a problem too because I think I might have to go out of state to get a toilet that isn't a "water conserving" type.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I will ask you too if the outlet your overflow tube is above the water level. Very common problem for your type of symptoms. Just a bit below the water level and you siphon out a little bit of water.

Reply to
HRL

Don't bother. The better water conserving types are great and they need not be expensive. When they first came out and the contractor's specials that are put in most homes are junk so many people think they all are junk. It is just not so.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Try tightening the flapper seat connection to the bowl. You may have to improvise a tool to do it. A new tool comes with a new flapper seat. Blue

Reply to
Blue

I have a Briggs toilet whose flapper started leaking. The replacement flappers available at the home stores all leaked, too. I looked closely at the original and it was different in important ways; I had to trim parts off the replacement flapper to make it actually fit properly. Could NOT find a Briggs part; some of the home stores carried Briggs toilets, but no parts for them.

Reply to
clifto

Try:

Joseph Meehan

self-regarding

Interesting. My toilets are also Briggs, and so I'm sure that my neighbors was too. I am still wondering why only one of them is causing problems, though. There was a time early on about 15 years ago when I started having problems with all three of them. I changed all of the fill valves and the flappers in one day, and two of the three have been fine for many years now. I know what you mean about having to trim the flapper. I saw that right away and made sure that they fit well. But one of them STILL has a very slow leak.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Wayne wrote:>But one of them STILL has a very

And it may not be the flapper. The tube to which the flapper mounts could be cracked, making for a little gremlin. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom