toilet flapper problem

About a 1.5 weeks ago, I changed the guts of my toilet including the flapper. The flapper was giving me a problem at first because it didn't seat well until I vaselined the plumbing it touches when the tank fills up. That worked great for about a week but now I hear the toilet begin to run again (for a few seconds several times a day) as before I did the vaseline trick.

Is there anything different I can do to make the flapper seat properly (any plumbing tricks of the trade) ?

The only two options that come to my mind are, more vaseline or replacing the flapper. Any other ideas or is there a well made flapper to stop this type leakage? If it matters, the toilet is about

8 years old and otherwise appears to be fine.
Reply to
RnR

All flappers are not created equal. Purchase a quality brand and hopefully the dimensions will be accurate enough to seal. Korky sells the red flappers that usually work well.

Reply to
tnom

Are you certain it is not the tube that goes into the overflow tube being too low. If the end of the tube is below the water line it will siphon slowly causing your symptoms. It should not stick into the overflow tube by more than a half inch.

Reply to
Rich256

The only flapper I could make work in my Kohler one piece was the real Kohler flapper and even then the chain adjustment is critical, within a link or two.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had the same problems, right off the bat, I didn't do the vaseline thing, since that kinda weirds me out. ;) I found the flapper was 'crooked' didn't sit right. I seemed that it was a manufacturing defect. I didn't return the flapper, since it was part of a kit, and by the 1000'th time the tank constantly refilled, I took it out and stompted the life out of it.

I got a new flapper, I stick with the same manufacture as the seat, since they were meant to be, and it worked.

Now this is what happened to me, you might need to get a replacement part.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Reply to
buffalobill

FWIW, I agree with the other guys. Replace the flapper, even though it's new. They're cheap.

Reply to
CJT