Toilet flapper valves

About every two years my toilets start leaking into the bowl enough that they periodically refill. I guess my water is aggressive enough to eat away at them.

Last time I paid my plumber to do it instead of me, thinking he would have better quality parts. Nope, he went to Home Depot and bought the same stuff I did.

Is there anything better out there that will last a bit longer? Or is this just routine maintenance like filter changes.

Reply to
TimR

I might've changed mine a couple times in thirty years or so. The fill valve wouldn't shut off. The incoming water ran through the overfill tube. There is this on Amazon. Who knows if it's any good.

Dean Hoffman

Can't answer about better parts, but..

by any chance are you using the toilet cleaner disks or similar garbage in your tank? These are notorious for eating away at the rubber and pseudo rubber parts.

(I had a two part toilet - tank and bowl - and the tank was dripping into the bowl. It took a _lot_ of painful work (starting with replacing the flapper and progressing to removing the toilet, separting all the parts..) before I realized the gasket between the two parts had been damaged. ANd yeah, due to the specific design the leakage went into the bowl instead of the floor...

Reply to
danny burstein

I do not know what your toilets are. Mine are all different but the only one I have trouble with is a finicky Toto where I have had to replace the flapper several times and must use OEM with a larger than normal flapper. I also required a new flush lever and only OEM would work. I have another different type Toto that has never malfunctioned.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't see how this applies to you, but...

35 years ago when I was a new homeowner and was going to do a great job, I bought "1000 Flushes" for each of my toilets. It kept the bowl clean alright but in a few weeks black stuff from each flapper (they weren't flappers then, so I don't know what their name was) lined the bowl.

I sent the old ones to the company and they refunded the price of 3

1000-flushes and three flappers.

The flappers wern't new but it was no coincidence that they all went at once.

Reply to
micky

Well that's good. Who says there is no objective good in this world!

I have 2-part toilets too. I guess I'm lucky the stuff I used only ruined my flappers.

Reply to
micky

Nope. I made that mistake once, the valves lasted one year instead of two.

Reply to
TimR

Have you considered that the problem isn't the flapper(s)?

Maybe the flush valve seat - the part where the flapper lands - is rough/out of round/etc. Maybe a brand new flexible flapper seals properly but after a short time it can't compensate for a faulty seat.

That's just a guess, but you shouldn't have to replace the flapper every 2 years.

Do you have more than one toilet? If so, it is only this toilet that gives you trouble? If so, I'd have to say that it's something other than the flapper(s).

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

My answer too. Had an oldie that has a brass valve seat - or maybe it was chrome and later brass - with a rubber ball that dropped down on the valve. It had corroded enough to create a tiny leak. Being a responsible renter I bought a replacement fix that was a flapper & seat with a gummy adhesive that went over the old seal.

Reply to
cable_shill

Three toilets, three slightly different seats, all of them fail.

But you're right, the one that's acting up today has a slightly different attachment. I did end up putting a different seat on it, but when i had the plumber redo it he took that one off.

When I change light bulbs i write the date on the base with a sharpie. Maybe i'll start using a label maker and marking the toilet to see if I get different life spans.

Reply to
TimR

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 04:38:52 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to digest...

Is it that important? Anyway, if all toilets are doing it then I would look at the water quality. It may be acidic or something, crystal ball is down.

Reply to
Tekkie©