OT. Help Wanted, Burger King etc.

My area of Nebraska is mostly back to normal as far as gathering limitations, restaurant seating etc. The local Burger King has a sign on the door. It says the dining room is closed due to lack of help. A couple other fast food places have their dining rooms still closed too. No explanation. Walmart and other retailers are looking for help here. So are seed production companies and farm equipment dealers. There's no reason for people not to work, at least in my little world. The Nebraska governor is ending the special Covid benefits so we'll maybe get an idea how much difference those benefits make to people.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Copied this from neighbors Facebook page:

"We have so many job openings: Server, Bartender, Managers, Assistant PT Managers, Sous Chef, Line Cook, Head Dancing Clown Coordinator (big shoes to fill). Yep, so many jobs. Apply online."

That was back in April and this from May:

"Wait. Really? Overpayment of unemployment money is keeping people from wanting to work? Nawwwwww. Gtfo"

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My local Hooters has this on their sign:

We're Hiring Like Everyone Else

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I hope their standards are a little higher than Walmart.

Reply to
gfretwell

No idea. I only see the place as I drive by, on my way to the orange box store.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Just imagine a beer joint with big boob waitresses in tight orange shorts and crop tops. If you live in a college town they can set the standards pretty high and it is a good gig for a young girl. They can easily make a few hundred a night delivering beer and wings to your table. One of our daughter's friends managed to get out of college, with a masters, debt free, working at Hooters.

Reply to
gfretwell

So what happened next?

Did she stay on at Hooters or use her degree and take a cut in pay?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

This calls for "The Rest of the Story" if anyone remembers Paul Harvey news & commentary.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The same thing that happens with most people who have an advanced degree. She got a job at the university teaching. Yes it was a pay cut, at least for a while but around age 30, your future at Hooters is very limited.

Reply to
gfretwell

My God, the "womynists" in Ann Arbor would be all over Hooter's like an invasion of harpies. Screaming, clawing, flapping about.

Too bad. I like their wings, oysters, and burgers. The slack-jawed look on my husband's face is just a bonus.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:05:59 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

Yup, old geezer...

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

I had to look up *harpies* never heard of it...

Reply to
Tekkie©

I didn't realize "Harpie" was a Greek word.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not big on Greek mythology? They were real party animals. The first big cheese, Uranus, was castrated by his son, Cronus. What goes around, Zeus locked up his father, Cronus, in Tartrus, their version of hell. At least Cronus got to keep his nuts. Finally we get to the Hounds of Zeus, aka the Harpies.

Reply to
rbowman

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:45:55 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Thanks for the Cliff notes course. I don't remember any Greek mythology, I sure I had it but I theorize my synapses shorted out...

I always thought the reference to Harps was to people of Irish descent.

Well, I learned something today so does that mean I can put my brain in neutral?

Reply to
Tekkie©

No, the harp equivalent is a bean sí.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 08:02:56 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Ah, wonder where the harp reference came from in my mind (if one calls it that)?

Reply to
Tekkie©

I'm not sure what it has to do with Blackhawk Down.''

"The minstrel fell but the foreman's chain could not bring his proud soul under the harp he loved never spoke again for he tore its chords asunder He said, "No chains shall sully thee. The soul of love and bravery Thy songs were made for the pure and free They shall never sound in slavery!"

It was written for the men who died in the 1798 struggle for freedom. That one failed, but you have to keep on trying.

Reply to
rbowman