Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

It wasn't laughing it was extreme shock from prudes. I got enough people showing surprise when it was still on.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Bottom 20% of words"

Changing it to "f*ck up" increases that to 30%.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

rote:

ote:

at 50% humidity is more comfortable 72=B0F at 90% humidity. I serviced = and installed HVAC systems back when I was doing service work for busine= sses. I like 2 stage AC systems because they control humidity much bette= r. The newest more advanced(more expensive) HVAC systems are variable gi= ving a more precise control of humidity. ^_^

I get used to different climates very quickly.

-- =

It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to th= e wall.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I wonder which is faster, speaking it or typing it. Depends how good your fingers are with the odd chords needed to get the brackets.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Speak for yourself. I was in the computer business 53 years ago. They did run on kerosene tho ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

39 and 95% humidity? Where was that?
Reply to
gfretwell

In New Zealand they just say buggered but that has become an all purpose word, I even have an Australian "bugger" license plate (colors inverted from the New Zealand plate). The guy who had that plate in New Zealand still has the plate but they won't let him use it on his car anymore. It is at his coffee shop The Bugger Cafe.

Reply to
gfretwell

All of Ireland or just the north?

Reply to
gfretwell

Wouldn't those be more correctly called industrial calculators?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The South of France in very unusual weather. Many locals died apparently.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword

Especially the north, but the south isn't ours anyway.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And the railways still continue to sap taxpayers' money even now.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not really. These were transistor stored program machines with tape, disk and card media and up to an 1100 (132 character) line a minute printer. The base 1401 boasted a whopping 4k of Core Storage topping out at 16k although the 70xx machines were bigger. Basic clock cycle was 11.5 microseconds. (87khz or so)

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup that's about it. You really should check out New Zealand if you want to see a cool place. The weather will be familiar and the people are really laid back. They even drive on the correct side of the road for you. It was an adventure for me but being dyslexic anyway, the transition was faster than you would think. I made my wife nuts when I said "OK we turn left here" and we went right but from the driving mechanics it is the same. (traffic approach, lanes you cross etc) I just let my whole brain flip over. She did like me being a gentleman every time we got in the truck. I always opened her door first. ;-) Nope no steering wheel, here you go baby, hop in.

Reply to
gfretwell

A friend is quadriplegic and type with two pencils held in special splints. He said he thought about using Dragon but figured it wouldn't be too long before he and his wheelchair were out in the parking lot up on blocks.

I was born in the wrong generation. My brother, the rocket scientist in the family, was quite a bit older than I. He retired as a VP at Morton Thiokol and I don't think he had any working familiarity with keyboards.

He did have one secretarial revolt when he went to work at the Utah facility. She was a good Mormon and making coffee was out of the question.

Reply to
rbowman

For programming it really doesn't matter. Unless you're pounding out Java boilerplate the time spent typing is a small percentage. Or I guess, Cobol. I never used it myself but I understand getting anything done requires an equivalent of writing 'War and Peace'.

Reply to
rbowman

Not so much with microcontrollers...

Reply to
rbowman

teh classic pwned user...

Reply to
rbowman

That's about right. My first programming was in FORTRAN IV on a System/360 Model 30 in 1965, iirc. I thought it really sucked. I did hardware control systems until the '70s when you could stake out a microprocessor on the kitchen table and play with it. Logic is logic, relays, TTL, whatever.

Reply to
rbowman