OT.. Mayan City

Something called LIDAR helped archaeologists find many more buildings than they thought existed.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I actually watched a show yesterday, I think it was, where two men used LIDAR to x-ray through some tunnel walls under a city where the Knights Templar supposedly had a stronghold. The city was invaded and they escaped through the tunnels to the ocean.

This particular wall was bricked up and they wanted to see if passageways were on the other side of the bricks. Turns out the LIDAR showed there were several doorways behind the bricked up wall.

Reply to
Muggles

Those things are amazing. A whole new way of looking at history. On the everyday practical level, I can see some other uses. Like finding out where that big fish who has been eating all my bait is hiding....

Reply to
Newgene McMensa

A much more useful use for the technology than catching speeding motorists.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

yeah! I watch the show "The Curse of Oak Island" and they believe there is evidence the Templar's were there, and possibly buried some of their treasure's there. I'm waiting to see if they eventually find reason to use the LIDAR in some creative way.

Reply to
Muggles