Thermometers: What's the Problem with Accuracy?

Per James Wilkinson Sword:

Dunno from other countries, but my feeling is that the average IQ of the USA's population is somewhere South of room temperature.

OK, gross exaggeration... but 100 *is* the "Mean" (whatever that is....).

To be more real, I think my impression is more from people's lack of critical thinking skills - not that mine are all that wonderful... but at least I can recognize my own deficits in that area.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Art Todesco:

That thing is starting to call out to me.

Do you just close the refrigerator door on the wire?

Or did the refrigerator need a hole drilled in it for the wire?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

0723
Reply to
rbowman

It is really more like 73 and you would notice the 3 degrees if you jumped in.

Reply to
gfretwell

You're not wrong about water. However, I can't remember the last time I immersed myself in anything but water heated to 101 F. I'm much more interested in the air temperature.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton
[snip]

I won't tell you my IQ, but it does disprove that rule.

Reply to
Jim E

I once found a book by a Russian author who claimed we should all be using base 3 (closest whole number to e). I never understood that, but I do like base 16, preferably indicated by a leading '$', like $FFD2 (print character subroutine for Commodore 64).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

0x1D3 (although I actually prefer $1D3), or even (at least some times) %000111010011. ?
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Dunno, is that C or F ? (trick question)

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't they seperate dummies from bright kids over there like we do?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Scotland isn't a country.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In the US they do not seperate. They teach to the lowest IQs. The only seperation is for the sports programs. The colleges have special dorms and food for them.

Some high schools do have seperate courses for general business and such and another for college bound students, but there is no seperation for the low to the high IQ in those classes. Makes it look good for a high school when they can say the students average a B . That is because it is much easier to score high in general math than algebra.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I am a hex guy. We would say x'01D3' for that binary string. Cindy's notation looks like octal to me. Binary is always going to be binary tho. BCD anyone? ;-) That is 6 bit code plus a parity bit hence 7 track tape drives.

Reply to
gfretwell

They are not allowed. The racial make up of the classes would bring claims of racial discrimination. In fact one of the counties outside got sued for it. They tried to separate out the students that needed extra help and throw more money at them. The NAACP said they were stigmatizing black kids.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why you think I used the particular specific number???

Altho we actually did have a field service trip to Sask Power one year when it was nearly that cold; why any utility would schedule an outage mid-winter always escaped me...but this was annual event. Glad am not doing that any longer!

Reply to
dpb

You can't disprove it with one person. That's like saying because you have blonde hair that Americans aren't brunettes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You really needed Trump.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't you find the clever students are held back by the fuckwits in the class? You'll never educate anyone if you mix all abilities together.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I get the feeling some people in this group are quite old.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They prolly have thermometers with binary/hex/octal/scientific notation displays too.

Reply to
00000001