Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition

Good!
Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition
ABC News http://tinyurl.com/yaa2j3fs
--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:17:08 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"

The small gun stores thank you for your support. This may be the only segment of the retail market where conglomerates are not crushing small independents.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:38:19 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"

Keep dreaming. All repealing the PLCAA is drive the business underground and we know how great it turns out when we make things people want, illegal. It really only affects the people who are not causing the problems. Serious people in the shooting sports are the ones who buy most of the guns and ammo. Criminals are likely to shoot you with the bullets that were in the gun when it was stolen.

As often as not it seems to be cops.

I guess you don't read the paper where you are. We hear about cops having guns stolen out of their cars all the time and they even lose real machine guns, not just their service handguns. I also will contend that "serious shooters" do keep their guns locked up because they generally have very expensive ones, unlike those who buy a cheap gun, put it in their night stand and never shoot it.
On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 7:17:47 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Doesn't sound like much of a super store to me. I never heard of them.
On 3/17/18 10:44 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Fred Meyer stores are located in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska. They are usually very large, combining a complete grocery supermarket with a drugstore, clothing, shoes, fine jewelry, home decor, home improvement, garden, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and more under one roof.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 19:44:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

They are really big in the west. Super Walmart sized operations.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 19:44:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Simply a matter of your personal ignorance.
Fred Meyer is a subsidiary of Kroger and has annual revenues of approximately $5 billion.
They have 130 stores and employ 30,000 people.
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8:38:38 AM UTC-4, None wrote:

None within 2000 miles of me, none in CA, etc.
On 3/18/18 11:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Fred Meyer stores are located in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 08:45:51 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Meaningless to their status as a company with a chain of superstores.
Definition: superstore
noun 1. a very large store, especially one stocking a wide variety of merchandise.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/superstore?s=t
A company could have one store and it could be considered a "superstore".
On 03/17/2018 09:44 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

I have, but only because that's one of the names on the bags from Kroger pharmacy.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Trader has the Acela corridor mentality. If he doesn't see it everyday, it doesn't exist and he has little understanding of anything that goes on a few hundred miles south or west of him.
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 1:02:59 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'd say it's you who can't learn from other areas of the country. NJ for example. We have a very reasonable gun permit process, where the local police do a background check and have to approve a permit. In NJ, Cruz could not have walked into Dick's, (we have those here too), and buy a gun. His permit would have been denied because that's where all those red flags would have come together. The police had enough just in their own files to deny it. But heh, no need to learn from experience. Red flags! Red flags! What the people harping about red flags don't get is that without a process where the red flags come into play, red flags mean nothing. In FL, unless you're so nuts that a shrink says you are a threat to yourself or others, or you have a felony record, you can buy all the guns you want. And sadly, the NRA and gun nuts want to keep it that way.
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:16:52 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

So all you are saying is the rest of the country should do things like they do in new jersey. I am surrounded by people who say that. They come down here to get away from it all, then they want to bring it all here.
BTW did you read that article? The cops were told there was nothing wrong with Cruz by the county mental health facility so they would be on pretty shaky ground unilaterally denying him a constitutional right. (anywhere but NJ I suppose where the constitution is just a guideline)
On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 2:34:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, I never said any such thing. I just gave you one specific and very good example where you'd think FL could learn from the experience of other states. Cruz would not have been able to walk into a gun store and buy his guns here, he never would have gotten the permit.
I am surrounded by people who say that.

I suggest you're the one that needs to read. The mental health people never told the police that there was "nothing wrong with Cruz". Quite the contrary, the police were told that he was being treated for mental illness. And as I pointed out, in NJ the police would not even need the mental health records that diagnosed him with mental disorders, they had ample reason to reject a permit just for the history of 23 calls to the house for all the various incidents, his school history, etc.
so they would be

See, just like I said, the NRA and gun nuts don't want a reasonable permit process that could have easily prevented Cruz or the next Cruz, from walking into a store and buying an AR15. Burpfart says he should have had the Baker Act applied. You're right, that would not have done anything, he was being constantly evaluated over at least a few years by mental health pros, he was under treatment at the time, but those pros did not judge him to be a threat to himself or others. So, what's your solution? Oh, I remember now, it was to put him in jail on a felony for shooting a bird. ROFL. My solution is a permit process similar to what we have in NJ, where his permit would have been rejected. But FL won't change, won't learn, so on we go, with more massacres to come. How do you sleep at night?
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:22:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I am referring to this statement from the Sentinel article. " The deputy who filed the report confirmed that Henderson and DCF were at the visit and said Cruz showed no signs of mental illness or criminal activity."
What would the basis be to deny a permit at that point? Was he on "double secret probation"?
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 16:53:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

This is what DCF and Henderson told the deputy and that was the only thing I saw that indicated what the COPS knew. Is the system fucked up? sure.
Monday morning quarterbacks never lose a game.
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 12:26:46 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Then you're not looking very hard. There's been endless reporting on the rest of it, including 23 calls to the house for punched walls, violence, etc over just a few years. The police absolutely had that, they have it now., they had it all the time. The one call you're referring to is just ONE of the 23, where besides the police being called there, they also brought in the state mental health people. And even what you just read, says that deputy was to go check out the house, see if he had a gun, because of what the police had been told was going on at the school with Cruz. And remember they had a deputy permanently assigned to the school.

The problem is, in FL you have no system to prevent someone like Cruz from walking in and buying guns.

I see, so you won't learn from experience, from past mistakes, and figure out how to fix it with a reasonable permit process for buying a gun. Instead, just let it happen again. The absurdity is all the people saying "red flags, red flags, there were so many red flags". That's right, but the problem is FL doesn't have a logical, reasonable process to deal with those red flags and you're opposed to putting a reasonable permit process, where those red flags come together at the local police, like we have in NJ in place. The police even already had plenty of info, that's where much of the info is coming from now. Did they have enough info to have a judge declare him a threat to himself and others and lock him into an institution? No. But to any reasonable person, they sure had way more than enough to deny him a permit. Even the gun nuts apparently agree, because they are running around complaining about all the red flags too. Yet no one will address the real problem, which is that there is no place, no way with your existing lack of law and system, for those red flags to come together, to be evaluated, to be used to deny him from walking in and buying guns.