Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition

Good!

Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition

ABC News

Dove Tail

The small gun stores thank you for your support. This may be the only segment of the retail market where conglomerates are not crushing small independents.

Reply to
gfretwell

Keep dreaming. All repealing the PLCAA is drive the business underground and we know how great it turns out when we make things people want, illegal. It really only affects the people who are not causing the problems. Serious people in the shooting sports are the ones who buy most of the guns and ammo. Criminals are likely to shoot you with the bullets that were in the gun when it was stolen.

Reply to
gfretwell

Doesn't sound like much of a super store to me. I never heard of them.

Reply to
trader_4

Fred Meyer stores are located in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska. They are usually very large, combining a complete grocery supermarket with a drugstore, clothing, shoes, fine jewelry, home decor, home improvement, garden, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and more under one roof.

Reply to
Retired

They are really big in the west. Super Walmart sized operations.

Reply to
gfretwell

As often as not it seems to be cops.

Reply to
gfretwell

Simply a matter of your personal ignorance.

Fred Meyer is a subsidiary of Kroger and has annual revenues of approximately $5 billion.

They have 130 stores and employ 30,000 people.

Reply to
None

GMO crops are threatening the purity of our world's food supply. GMOs scare the f*ck out of me.

Drinking water is being polluted by glyphosate and other ag chemicals.  They also scare the f*ck out of me.

And the bastardization of the "Organic" label threatens my right to a clean safe supply of food.  That *really* scares the f*ck out of me.

But guns?  Guns are not even on my radar.

Reply to
Davis

This was their choice to lose customers with this move.

Reply to
redzap78

I guess you don't read the paper where you are. We hear about cops having guns stolen out of their cars all the time and they even lose real machine guns, not just their service handguns. I also will contend that "serious shooters" do keep their guns locked up because they generally have very expensive ones, unlike those who buy a cheap gun, put it in their night stand and never shoot it.

Reply to
gfretwell

None within 2000 miles of me, none in CA, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

re the f*ck out of me.

? They also scare the f*ck out of me.

an safe supply of food.  That *really* scares the f*ck out of me.

How many people died from GMOs in the USA last year? About 30,000 died from guns. Nuff said.

Reply to
trader_4

Fred Meyer stores are located in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska.

Reply to
Retired

Meaningless to their status as a company with a chain of superstores.

Definition: superstore

noun

  1. a very large store, especially one stocking a wide variety of merchandise.

A company could have one store and it could be considered a "superstore".

Reply to
None
[snip]

I have, but only because that's one of the names on the bags from Kroger pharmacy.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Trader has the Acela corridor mentality. If he doesn't see it everyday, it doesn't exist and he has little understanding of anything that goes on a few hundred miles south or west of him.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd say it's you who can't learn from other areas of the country. NJ for example. We have a very reasonable gun permit process, where the local police do a background check and have to approve a permit. In NJ, Cruz could not have walked into Dick's, (we have those here too), and buy a gun. His permit would have been denied because that's where all those red flags would have come together. The police had enough just in their own files to deny it. But heh, no need to learn from experience. Red flags! Red flags! What the people harping about red flags don't get is that without a process where the red flags come into play, red flags mean nothing. In FL, unless you're so nuts that a shrink says you are a threat to yourself or others, or you have a felony record, you can buy all the guns you want. And sadly, the NRA and gun nuts want to keep it that way.

Reply to
trader_4

So all you are saying is the rest of the country should do things like they do in new jersey. I am surrounded by people who say that. They come down here to get away from it all, then they want to bring it all here.

BTW did you read that article? The cops were told there was nothing wrong with Cruz by the county mental health facility so they would be on pretty shaky ground unilaterally denying him a constitutional right. (anywhere but NJ I suppose where the constitution is just a guideline)

Reply to
gfretwell

No, I never said any such thing. I just gave you one specific and very good example where you'd think FL could learn from the experience of other states. Cruz would not have been able to walk into a gun store and buy his guns here, he never would have gotten the permit.

I am surrounded by people who say that.

I suggest you're the one that needs to read. The mental health people never told the police that there was "nothing wrong with Cruz". Quite the contrary, the police were told that he was being treated for mental illness. And as I pointed out, in NJ the police would not even need the mental health records that diagnosed him with mental disorders, they had ample reason to reject a permit just for the history of 23 calls to the house for all the various incidents, his school history, etc.

so they would be

See, just like I said, the NRA and gun nuts don't want a reasonable permit process that could have easily prevented Cruz or the next Cruz, from walking into a store and buying an AR15. Burpfart says he should have had the Baker Act applied. You're right, that would not have done anything, he was being constantly evaluated over at least a few years by mental health pros, he was under treatment at the time, but those pros did not judge him to be a threat to himself or others. So, what's your solution? Oh, I remember now, it was to put him in jail on a felony for shooting a bird. ROFL. My solution is a permit process similar to what we have in NJ, where his permit would have been rejected. But FL won't change, won't learn, so on we go, with more massacres to come. How do you sleep at night?

Reply to
trader_4