Superstore chain Fred Meyer to stop selling guns, ammunition

I am referring to this statement from the Sentinel article. " The deputy who filed the report confirmed that Henderson and DCF were at the visit and said Cruz showed no signs of mental illness or criminal activity."

What would the basis be to deny a permit at that point? Was he on "double secret probation"?

Reply to
gfretwell

GMO crops make it possible to use less herbicide and insecticide and yet increase yields. BT corn, for example, resists corn borer. Soybeans are easy to kill with spray. Fields of Roundup Ready beans are largely free of weeds. The Roundup does a good job of killing the weeds. Farmers would do the best they could with tillage and what pre emerge sprays were available before Roundup ready beans existed. Crews of migrant workers used to be a common sight. The crews were walking the beans with hoes to hand weed the fields. Crews were usually a group of men. I have seen whole families out there. Grandma and grand kids included. That's not necessary anymore. Soybeans are legumes. A normal crop leaves behind something like 45 pounds of nitrogen for the following year's corn crop.

From

"What happens to glyphosate in the environment?

Glyphosate binds tightly to soil. It can persist in soil for up to 6 months depending on the climate and the type of soil it is in. Glyphosate is broken down by bacteria in the soil.

Glyphosate is not likely to get into groundwater because it binds tightly to soil. In one study, half the glyphosate in dead leaves broke down in 8 or 9 days. Another study found that some glyphosate was taken up by carrots and lettuce after the soil was treated with it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This is what DCF and Henderson told the deputy and that was the only thing I saw that indicated what the COPS knew. Is the system f***ed up? sure.

Monday morning quarterbacks never lose a game.

Reply to
gfretwell

Bob

There are separate grain elevators for food grain corn. I don't know the rules for it. A farmer might have to plant isolation strips to keep his neighbor's corn from cross breeding into his food grade corn, for example. That's probably the case but I don't know that.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Then you're not looking very hard. There's been endless reporting on the rest of it, including 23 calls to the house for punched walls, violence, etc over just a few years. The police absolutely had that, they have it now., they had it all the time. The one call you're referring to is just ONE of the 23, where besides the police being called there, they also brought in the state mental health people. And even what you just read, says that deputy was to go check out the house, see if he had a gun, because of what the police had been told was going on at the school with Cruz. And remember they had a deputy permanently assigned to the school.

The problem is, in FL you have no system to prevent someone like Cruz from walking in and buying guns.

I see, so you won't learn from experience, from past mistakes, and figure out how to fix it with a reasonable permit process for buying a gun. Instead, just let it happen again. The absurdity is all the people saying "red flags, red flags, there were so many red flags". That's right, but the problem is FL doesn't have a logical, reasonable process to deal with those red flags and you're opposed to putting a reasonable permit process, where those red flags come together at the local police, like we have in NJ in place. The police even already had plenty of info, that's where much of the info is coming from now. Did they have enough info to have a judge declare him a threat to himself and others and lock him into an institution? No. But to any reasonable person, they sure had way more than enough to deny him a permit. Even the gun nuts apparently agree, because they are running around complaining about all the red flags too. Yet no one will address the real problem, which is that there is no place, no way with your existing lack of law and system, for those red flags to come together, to be evaluated, to be used to deny him from walking in and buying guns.

Reply to
trader_4

To all that I'd add that Roundup is slowing an environmental disaster in the Mississippi Delta. Farmers plowing fields upstream, all the way to IL, creates runoff that's been filling in and destroying the marsh lands downstream for a hundred years. With Roundup now, many farmers don't have to till the soil, greatly reducing the runoff.

Roundup, like most things, isn't perfect. But you have to look at the whole picture and not forget about the positives.

Reply to
trader_4

Big Ag only cares about profit.  I doubt any of them would do anything to prevent the spread of their GMOs.

Reply to
Bob

Sure you do. You do not have the right to ban it and starve much of the population of the Earth, though. You did a good job making people suffer malaria. No need to starve them too.

Reply to
krw

No. It would be up to the farmer raising the food grade corn to plant the isolation rows if that's part of the rules. He'd get a premium to make up for the lost acres. I've driven by one organic farm a few times. It's pretty much surrounded by pine trees planted on the organic farm's property. The trees are there to prevent cross pollination. This food grade elevator takes both conventional and GMO corn. It can reject GMO if it's intended for some markets. And yes, it's about the money.

"The Andersons reserves the right to refuse delivery of commodities containing transgenic genes and traits that are not commercially merchantable."

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

s for food grain corn.  I

When I see all the organic products for hippies in the supermarkets I always wonder how much of it is fake. When there is a 2x or 3x price delta and no easy way to tell, it's sure prime for shysters. Kind of like when Jimmy Carter put his windfall profits tax on old oil, but not new oil. Commodities trader Marc Rich figured out how to pump old oil into one end of a pipeline or tank farm and have it come out the other end as new oil. He scammed the govt out of hundreds of millions, the largest tax cheat in history. He fled the country to Switzerland, living there the rest of his life. And Clinton pardoned him on his last day in office, when he was still on the FBI most wanted list. His ex-wife donated hundreds of thousands to the Clinton library and millions to the DNC. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

There's your mantra again REASONABLE... What is it?

Reply to
Tekkie®

That's correct, when he reaches the town border he reverses because that is all he knows. The country is not what HE thinks it is.

Reply to
Tekkie®

trader_4 posted for all of us...

More BS clipped.

So now you have a medical degree? I would suggest you diagnose yourself first. Prescription without diagnoses is malpractice.

Hey traitor, how do you really contribute to the world?

Reply to
Tekkie®