Sump pump

When the 1/3 hp pump starts for the first time each season, it does not start to push the water out. Every year I have to disconnect the PVC pipe from the pump and drain the water. After reconnecting the pipe to the pump the water pumps out fine. Do I need to use a 1/2 hp or 3/4 hp pump, or is there another solution, or should I just drain the pipe at the beginning of each season?

Reply to
Grandpa Tom

The discharge pipe need to be vented close to the pump. I drill mine with an 1/8" bit. You might want to angle the hole if you have a shallow pit, to prevent spray getting out of the pit.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I wonder if it could be the check valve, sticking, causing the problem

Reply to
Bob Horvath