outdoor sump pump pipe overflowing

My sump pump has been working overtimes in the past couple of days due to the exhorbitant amount of rainfall we received. I have a two in pipe that empties out into a four inch drain well that I assume is a pipe that extends to an underground drywell in my backyard. When the pump goes on the water comes out with such great force that it overwhelms the drain well and overflows onto the patio. What I've been doing is attaching a long 4 inch PVC pipe to it and draining the water out in my yard. This has been a problem because so much water is draining that it forms a small swamp within an hour or two wherever I lead the drain.

Should I rent an electric snake from Home depot to see if there is a blockage in the pipe? Is there a way I can mitigate the force the sump pump throws the water out of that pipe? How can I find out where that well goes, it looks pretty old, any chance it connects to the storm drain? If it does connect to a storm drain does the town have an obligation to fix it? Could I find out from the town records about this, if so how do I go about it?

Reply to
Joe

The well is probably flooded

Reply to
m Ransley

Why is the pump running? Could it be that the ground is saturated with moisture? Thus, pumping it into the ground just allows it to come back into the house. You could contact your local authorities to see what you can legally do to get rid of it. I have neighbors that run their pumps into the street, where it flows to storm drains.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F