Sub Floor Replacement Question

I have a very old house, built in 1939. There is not a square corner or a level floor in the place. It has 1" (best guess) hardwood t&g subfloors topped with 5/8"particle board. The t&g wood has either rotted or been eaten by termites. I have not removed or replaced anything yet. My question(s) is this , Can I use 3/4" MDF or 3/4" t&g Waferboard as a suitable replacement for the t&g hardwood? What are the expected lifespans of these materials if they are suitable for this job? If these are not suitable can someone recommends an inexpensive yet durable replacement product. (3/4" plywood 29.46 sheet lowest grade at he local Home Depot) TIA FG

Reply to
wishfult
1939 is just kinda-old. Sounds like it's not gonna make a National Register.

I'd suggest priorities:

  1. repair any structural problems and possible related causes (water leakage, insufficient foundation support, etc.) as possible first so you can support loads. If not, find a 'plan-b'.
  2. replace all damaged materials.
  3. possibly by room, make floor supports level; work up from there (subfloor, etc.)

I'd be prepared to remove lots of crap, from your statement. Might be useful in woodstove, anyhow. :")

Seems you'll be buying LOTS of whatever materials you choose. Get expert advice, and negotiate purchase with REAL lumber-yard. You gonna do this yourself?

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

If the subfloor is "either rotted or been eaten by termites", have you solved the cause of that problem? What are you going to do below existing partitions? TB

Reply to
tbasc

advantech makes a really good subfloor 3/4 t&g.

I R Baboon