Hardwood floor installation question

I'm installing 3/4 t&g down my hallway and have come to a small problem I'm sure one of you pros can set me straight on.

I have a closet directly across from my living room entry way. I am leaving carpet in my LR and in the closet. I will be using a reducer to go from the hardwood to the carpet. The hardwood has a microbeveled edge and ends.

How do I get either a tongue or a groove on both ends?? I've got the groove on all ends going to the LR and will put a spine in and then the reducer. The problem with the closet is that's the end I've been cutting off and therefore it is just a flat surface with nothing to hook to. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Julie

Just butt the two together with a little glue and it will be OK. If you really want to make a groove, you'd need a router to cut it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I did my floor I had two table saws. One was set for just putting groves in the ends. I purchased thin stock that I cut to fit for the ends. Butt joints with glue do not hold up under my 250 lbs. Been there done that. I would counsel you to do the closets with wood. Use pieces and who cares how many. I found it is an LOT easier to clean up and do an acceptable finish job when I do not change materials often. Cleaning the carpet in the closet will happen, once a year???

Reply to
SQLit

Router, table saw or hand saw & chisel. The latter takes a bit of work = but no big deal for a few.

dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH