Hardwood Floor Puzzle

Hello!

Still planning the hardwood floor installation in my house. Already decided on how I will compensate for the floor sagging. Thanks for all the hints.

Now I have another question.

I am installing tongue and groove solid hardwood and the planks are nalied to the subfloor through the tongue side, which means we have to always start from one end of the room and go up to the other end.

The problem is how we start and finish in rooms where the floor goes through doors? For example, one of the bedrooms has a walk-in closet. If start to install the hardwood on the bedroom and then transition to the closet through the door, on one side I will not be able to nail the planks thorugh the groove. That is, the door is in the middle of the room, therefore the floor will "expand" to both sides of the door. How to proceed in this case? I understand we cannot nail the hardwood planks through the grooves.

Thanks much in advance again.

Reply to
Rookie_Remodeler

I am not a fan of secret nailing myself. If I understand you correctly, you are talking about odd section, were you have to continue on from a groove edge.

I would make up a loose tongue and nail the last board just that one, on the face, slip in the loose tongue and carry on as normal. I have a page on flooring, but it is all about face nailing so it might not be any use to you. Here is the URL anyway.

Bill

You could start at a threshold so that matching the pieces on each side of a frame is easier. Cupboards can be ignored and any old crap will go in them. You could just lay them loose even, or on glue.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer