Strange dishwasher leak

While repairing a dishwasher for my wife at one of her rentals, I found a metal plate (heat shield?)that is mounted above the motor/pump. This plate is attached to the washer on plastic pillars that seem to have been "mushroomed" to hold the plate onto the body of the machine. There's a leak on one of the pillars, so I'm hoping a few of you might have had some experience with these appliances, or even this very problem. It's a Magic Chef model no. DU55BA-02, if that helps. It'd be great if all I have to do is "put a cork in it". Tom

Reply to
tom

Meirman wrote: snip-(It's possible to wash dishes by hand, but I'm not sure anyone believes that anymore. It may be as far out as alchemy now.)-snip

Heehee! Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem to be a screw and nut assembly there, as I said, it's "mushroomed". I spoke with a local service person, who thinks I may not be looking at the true source of the leak. Thank goodness, the tenant is amenable to waiting another week due to his work schedule. With the limited length of the water supply pipe, it appears I'll need an inspection mirror to really see the issue. Oh well, always wanted one of those... I'm not sure what pc70 is, but I'm ready with some epoxy ... Thanks again. Tom

Reply to
tom

In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 17:04:21 -0700 "tom" posted:

No experience with dishwasher leaks, but seems to me the heat shield should have been attached to the motor, not the dish enclosure.

If the tenants aren't the screaming type, I'd take off the nut, the plate, the pillar, stuff as much as possible pc-70 around the base of the screw (there is a screw and nut, right?) and tighten the thing back down.

It takes overnight to dry. I guess be prepared to come back the day afte rhtye do their dishes, if it doesn't work, unless they'll hold off again, which they should for a few days. (It's possible to wash dishes by hand, but I'm not sure anyone believes that anymore. It may be as far out as alchemy now.)

Does this leak show inside the dishwasher? I'm sure you can find some plastic patch light in color at an auto parts store or hardware store.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 19:53:25 -0700 "tom" posted:

Maybe not. Maybe try water with food coloring so you'll see the leak as soon as it shows up.

I once bought a nudie ice cube tray, but it was hard to see the shapes. So I made ice with food coloring in the water. IIRC all the food coloring went to the bottom third of the "cube", not physiologically but the third closest to the freezer shelf.

Yeah, they're good. They make a dental mirror with a telescoping handle. I think it's for giraffe dentists. (might be hard to find)

Pc-70 is an epoxy and it's great. Sticks to anything, including glass. Hardens while wet, while leak is dripping if you push it back in place every time it moves for the first ten minutes.

It's dark grey. It can be smoothed with a wet finger, but it tastes v. bad, so I try to use each finger only once.