Removing Wall outlet

Whatcha bet he does it anyway...

Reply to
G Henslee

Disconnect the wires from the lower outlet and yank them out of the wall.

Better would be to put the outlet to good use:

Neon beer sign. One of those pendulum clocks that has a face whose eyes that move in sync with the pendulum. Lava lamp on a small shelf. A device - you've seen them in the rest rooms at drive-in movies - that squirts some deoderant every thirty minutes.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a wall outlet located near the ceiling (probably for a clock) that I'd like to remove and then patch over. This outlet is on the same circuit as another outlet near the floor that I want to leave in place. My question: Can I just remove the box, connect the wires on both sides from this top outlet, then cap off and tape these wires and leave them in the wall before I patch over the hole?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
kato

Hey, relax. People do it all of the time - against good advice.

"Well, I'll just tape it up real good, and it won't be a problem".

Reply to
G Henslee

As others said, no you can't bury the box. What I do in that situation, if I don't have something to plug in, is hang a picture, plate, battery operated clock, or whatever over the outlet. It's better to replace the outlet with a blank plate, but if you don't know how to do that, leave the outlet, perhaps use child-proof caps in it.

Reply to
Luke

Got it, thanks.

Reply to
kato

Will do, thanks for the reply.

Reply to
kato

accessible.

If I was going to do it anyways, I wouldn't be asking now would I? I'd just do it.

Reply to
kato

Why do all that work. Just hang a picture over it.

Reply to
anoldfart2

No! The connection has to be made in a box, and the box has to be accessible.

You can remove the outlet and put a solid cover over it; but you can't just lose it.

Reply to
toller

Ask yourself why there is a box there in the first place. The answer you will eventually come up with is to contain the arcing that so often occurs when splices or connections fail. If the connections are properly enclosed in a complete and properly installed box a failure of a connection is far less likely to kindle a fire. If you remove the device, make proper splices and install a blank cover then once it is painted not one in twenty people will notice that it is there. Then when something goes wrong with the circuit you will still be able to get at the splices without opening the wall.

When you paint the wall remove all electrical box covers and mask all electrical devices with painters tape. Paint the blank cover with the same paint. If you paint with the covers on the wall they will be attached to the wall by a bead of paint. Removing the cover will then mar the paint.

Reply to
Member TPVFD

Your Welcome

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
Member TPVFD

Only if there are connections in the box--which is the problem. How's he to get an unbroken wire the attic from the existing box to make the junction there w/o (two) new junctions?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Kato,

If the outlet is near the ceiling, and this is in a bedroom, it might be for a smoke alarm? If so, you should probably install a new smoke alarm there.

Otherwise, if there is only the one cable entering the box, and you can disconnect the power supply on the opposite end (with no chance of reattachment), there's no reason why you couldn't take out the box and leave the old wiring in the wall. It's done all the time when old wiring is updated.

HOWEVER, if you have other cables connecting in the box, you can't just bury the box. The connections have to remain accessable. Just use a blank cover plate and paint it to match the wall.

If you REALLY want to remove the box, you'll need to find where those cables go, then route a new single cable from source to destination. Eliminate the cables in the box, then you can eliminate the box.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thanks for the info, another set of wires does go through the box, so it's staying in place with a blank cover plate. If I ever want the outlet again I'll just change the cover plate back. Thanks again.

Reply to
kato

That's the easy way and the most desirable way to to solve this. Some day you may want it, or a future home buyer may want it. So this is the best solution. The outlet was probably for a clock.

Reply to
anoldfart2

Really? You don't think it was for a table lamp or maybe a blender? geesh...

Reply to
G Henslee