dishwasher leak

My Whirlpool GU2300XT/B2 dishwasher has a tiny leak under the right side of the door. It is not leaking under the rest of the dishwasher where the guts of the unit are. I have removed the access panel and inspected the underneath carefully to ensure there are no other leaks.

The leak is maybe 1/8 cup per load, if not less. I can actually watch the dripping occur at the right edge of the door onto the floor. I have stuck my hand up into the door from underneath but can't determine where it is coming from exactly. I have also removed the front panel of the door and inspected the area around the soap dispenser but the insulation is all dry there and everywhere else.

The gasket is attached to the inner body and the door closes upon it. I have pulled the gasket out on the side that leaks, inspected, wiped it clean, and reinserted it back in.

Unfortunately the leak still persists. Any thoughts?

Reply to
badgolferman

Last time that happened to me I found the vent on the door was full of soap powder.

Turns out, we were using too much powder, filling the 2 receptacles to the top.

Anyway, if your dishwasher has one, look for a vent grill on the inside of the door and pop it out. If it's full of soap powder, clean it out.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Is this the vent on the inside of the door? Does it pop out from the inside or must I take the cover off to access it?

Reply to
badgolferman

These are the possible causes I can think of...

  1. bad gasket

  1. gunk built up on gasket and/or case where gasket hits

  2. loose/bent hinge
Reply to
dadiOH

I had a leak in the same place on a Maytag (manufactured by Whirlpool). It was the gasket, near the lower right side of the door.

Reply to
sms

Two thoughts. On refrigerators, sometimes you have to warm the gasket with a hair dryer, and then close the door. The softer plastic gasket takes shape, and "sets" when it cools.

Second. Sometimes, the gasket drags on the door, and doesn't seal. Sometimes a trace of grease on the gasket helps it to seal.

Please post followup. How'd it go?

.

The leak is maybe 1/8 cup per load, if not less. I can actually watch the dripping occur at the right edge of the door onto the floor. I have stuck my hand up into the door from underneath but can't determine where it is coming from exactly. I have also removed the front panel of the door and inspected the area around the soap dispenser but the insulation is all dry there and everywhere else.

The gasket is attached to the inner body and the door closes upon it. I have pulled the gasket out on the side that leaks, inspected, wiped it clean, and reinserted it back in.

Unfortunately the leak still persists. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, That is why we don't use power. Use so much powder? Must have hard water.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In my case it was on the inside of the door (Kenmore). It's a long shot, but the leak I had was just as you describe.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I don't know the answer, but I did a search for parts for your model and came up with this:

The first link is the main page for all of the parts.

The second link is an "air inlet" part.

The third link is an "air vent assembly".

If you click on the icon for the diagram on each of the last two links, it shows where the part is located.

Good luck.

Reply to
TomR

Nope soft water, just never read the machine instructions. Who knew the receptacle was 3x bigger than needed?

I think powders are okay, but I mostly buy gels now.

Reply to
Dan Espen

We had small leaks in our dw, far enough apart in time for me to have forgotten completely how we resolved the first one by the time the second occurred. Our serviceman advised pouring a quart of white vinegar into dw, sans dishes, and run a regular cycle. He said the soap residual kept the dw from emptying properly so that water level was too high. It worked great!

Reply to
Norminn

The last leaky dishwasher door I solved was due to washing dishwashing scrubber/sponges containing too much residual soap. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Make sure the overfill shutoff valve is working properly. Normally dishwashers do not fill up to the pointwhere the door gaskets are. The gaskets are only to keep spray from getting out. That's why you can open the door while it is running. If it is overfilling then it will leak.

Sometimes overfilling is caused by a problem draining. All the old water does not get out. So check that too.

Reply to
jamesgang

Another source of leaks is a gummed-up water-level sensor. The water level gets too high and the excess water finds its own way out.

Usually the water level sensor is located in the washer basin, at the right-front corner. Pull it straight up and clean out the solidified soap.

Reply to
HeyBub

You diagnosed my problem about 2 years ago for my dishwasher. It worked like a charm.

Reply to
Doug

I just tried that and now it won't pop back in and seat. It has a stem that popped out when I pulled on it but now it won't pop back into anything. That really sucks now.

Reply to
badgolferman

I had a similar problem on a Maytag. I found soap residue inside the door, near the soap door latch release. The (small) gasket for that latch looked questionable, so I replaced it. The leak stopped; though (full disclosure), my notes also say "tightened rinse agent bottle more". It's been a while,

George

Reply to
George