Solar watches

I've got 3 solar watches and so does my wife. Mine are all Casio. Two of mine are Waveceptor models, sometimes called "atomic" and reset via a national time standard radio signal in the middle of the night every night. My wife has two Casios and one Citizen. Oldest of the six is a

13 year old Casio Waveceptor. All keep the same time you'd normally get from any quartz movement. I never need to set (or reset) the two Waveceptors. My only caveat is that you should get in the habit of placing solar watches in the light if convenient, when you're not wearing them under a long sleeve. This is especially true if you get one with an "atomic" movement. The reset in the middle of the night uses more battery power than does the quartz time keeping circuit and I learned that they will deplete and go into deep hibernation if allowed to go several months without sufficient light. Otherwise, a few hours a week in direct sunlight or just putting it near a windowsill routinely when not wearing it reliably keeps it going. The all digital non-Waveceptors never seem to never need direct sunlight. Indirect light is sufficient.

If I ever need to buy a new watch, I'll never get a battery powered model again. Nothing worse than having a battery fail at the wrong time and missing an important event or transportation connect. The battery powered Seikos second hands skip 2 seconds instead of one second when the battery is weak and needs replacement. It's a good feature, but even so, why bother with a battery watch any more?

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I would think the cell phones would put most of the watchmakers out of business except for the jewelery look. They are accurate and most even correct for the dalight savings time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My wife pointed-that-out to me several years ago - ask a young person what time it is - they pull out their cell phone. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:03:49 -0700 (PDT), AK posted for all of us to digest...

Yes, buy a Citizen. Newest ones will use either time sync with WWV or GPS.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:25:50 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to digest...

The Citizen watch I have does it automatically. It's fun to see the hour hand go forward or back by itself. 8) I recommend them highly.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Pretty much. Rarely wear my watch for the past half dozen years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've got a Citizen ecodrive chronograph that runs on direct sunlight, incident daylight or interior lighting.

They claim that once you've got a good charge on it, it will keep time in the dark for 6-9 months- though after a good while, the hands quit moving but spin up as soon as it's back in the light.

I just leave it on a window ledge when I'm not using it and have never had a problem.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Kind of a PITA to pull your phone out, make it come on, etc., instead of just rolling your wrist over ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Certainly the smart watch has to be chipping away with anyone who wants a tool on their wrist instead of bling.

Reply to
gfretwell

True, but right now I can see the time in my hose in three different places with a slight movement of my head. In my car I can see two places at a glance.

Seems like we have more and more appliances and electronics with clocks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Last Saturday my jeweler had to finish replacing a watch battery before he could resize my ring ...

Reply to
Snag

My last watch was a Casio quartz digital that died at 3:08PM on a Saturday in 1983. It disagreed with my motorcycle accident. Since then, I've seen no reason to replace it.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

No PITA. It's like a pocket watch, only easier. Phones can mostly be configured to show the time always, so pulling out my phone and looking at it is actually faster than a geezer friend of mine who pulls out his pocket watch and then he has to flip open the cover.

Yeah, I know, neither is a great hardship. I'll stick with the phone since I use it about 200 times a day anyway. It does way more than a typical watch.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Not just young people. I carry a cell phone and don't wear a watch.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I bought a Casio Men's Solar Sport Combination Watch.

It's internal lithium ion battery is supposed to last 10 years.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I'm retired. I don't care what time it is.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Friend: "Hey Cindy, what time you got?"

Cindy: "Hang on while I open my purse, root through it, find my phone, haul it out, shake it to turn it on, wipe the cosmetics slime and purse-lint off the screen. OK, it's 3:30 ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Describes normal women but maybe not Cindy.

And, speaking of batteries, a lot of cell phones need charging practically daily.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Cindy: "Look at your own damned phone if you want to know the time." Everybody I know has one.

You've mistaken me for a girly-girl. If I want to know the time: Reach into pocket, remove phone, flip case open, push Home button. I don't keep my phone in my purse and I don't use cosmetics.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Thank you. I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

It depends on my usage. I have a charger right on my bedside table, so it's trivial to keep my phone charged. Every few days seems sufficient.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...