Can I replace a fluidmaster 400 with a a Korky 818BP QuietFILL

Can I replace a fluidmaster 400 with a a Korky 818BP QuietFILL without changing the base, just by twisting and replacing?

I suspect the answer is no but maybe you'll suprise me.

This particular fluidmasster is noisy and near the kitchen so I hear it, but if I'm going to change the base that attaches to the bottom of the tank, I'd want to do the valve too and I want something easy right now. (If it's just twist off/twist on, you don't even need to turn off the water!)

If not, do all the fluidmaster 400's replace each other easily? Is one model actually quiet?

TIA

Reply to
micky

Are you sure that you have supplied the correct Fluidmaster model number? Maybe it's a pretty old?

Per the Fluidmaster site, all of the 400 series have at least one letter following the "400".

That said, if you look at the threads on the adjustment shaft, they look like they are the same across all models, so maybe all the 400's use the same base.

However, the adjustment threads on the Korky 818BP seem to be a lot finer, so I'm going guess that the fill valve portions are not compatible. Again, just a guess based on the following images.

400A, etc.

818BP

Marilyn Manson

Mine is at least 20 years old. What I would have hoped is the whole model number is embossed, black on black, on the top of the valve. Even with the light on in the room I had to use a flashlight and it seemed to say 400.

The point you make, using these pictures, is a big help. You're right, a Korky is very unlikely to fit. I guess it's been 20 years since I replaced any of these parts and I was still thinking, back to thinking, they used a bayonet mount like the Fluidmaster 200.

I ordered late last night a Fluidmaster 400H-002, which they don't sell at Home Depot and uses the word "quiet" in the Amazon ad. Not all of the Fluidmaster ads use that word, maybe only this one.

OTOH the problem with the current one, labeled 400, is that it doesn't turn off completely unless I twist the whole thing just right. I may get stuck redoing everything anyhow.

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 22:05:07 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

INCOMING sound the flood alert.

Reply to
Tekkie©

LOL

Later I noticed that not only don't you have to turn the water off with the 200A, it works even better if you don't flush the toilet first, if the tank is full. At least with my house's rather average water pressure, there is little or no rush because the water only bubbles up an inch or two, doesn't get anything outside the tank wet.

I haven't tried this with the 400 yet. I have the new one but the old one is working okay for now. I don't think it will work with the 400. It has an intake tube in the tank that iirc is a few inches taller than the 200, and I think having less water above the inlet will mean having water in the tank won't help much.

Reply to
micky