Shingling hatchet

I am getting a new roof installed. Yesterday I watched them working for a while and was surprised to see that some of the workers were using shingling hatchets. I had just kind of assumed that they were no longer used, but obviously I am wrong.

I know that shingling hatchets were originally used for wood shingle roofing. Do they still use them for shake roofing? I had not really thought about it but just figured that the shakes came precut or were cut with a saw nowdays.

Not a big deal, I was just curious.

For those who don't know what a shingling hatchet is:

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

BillGill wrote: ...

Of course. Strictly speaking, "shakes" are split, not sawn altho some are sawn one side, split face-side. Wooden shingles are sawn.

Still need to straighten edges, cut/shave to fit, etc., ...

Little more unusual to see them used these days w/ composition shingles but may simply indicate an older crew as a guess.

--

Reply to
dpb

I would be surprised to discover that they _weren't_ still being used. Shakes still need trimming, even if machine cut, if only at the end of rows and at roof penetrations.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

On 5/4/2008 6:28 AM BillGill spake thus:

I still have my hatchet, which I haven't used in decades, but which I bought when I was on a crew doing roofing with asphalt shingles. The built in knife blade is very handy for trimming shingles without reaching for another tool.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Odd. I had forgotten all about that. Yes, I borrowed one on my last project (2 sheds and a garage). Didn't use the built in knife but the built in gauge to set the exposure with is a fantastic time saver and makes a much better job, faster.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K