striiping copper wire

Is it worth it to strip bx cable(2 wire, and ground sheilded with metal casing) as opposed to bringing it to the scrap yard unstripped. Will I get more money if it is stripped.

Reply to
groundzero1000

Much more, probably double or triple

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Stripping's a lot of trouble.

Burn it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that has been done.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

you won't burn the steel off of it. and all you have to do is pull on the wire and it'll pull out. THEN he can burn the insulation off in a good hot wood fire.

S. Barker

You will get top dollar for bare copper wire. Steel is also going for a good price now so keep the armor for the scrap yard as well.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Illegal in most places and for very good reasons. EPA requires hazardous waste cleanup techniques at any site discovered where that has been done.

Harry K

******************************

Ship it to India. They have the kids do it there for just pennies.

The History Channel had a show called "Ship Breakers" whee they scrap old ships. If they repeat it, be sure to watch it and be thankful you were born elsewhere.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You didn't mention the "very good reason" unless slavish obsequiousness to EPA regulations is one.

Reply to
HeyBub

Copper is near 4$ a lb. 3-4x what it was a few years ago, actualy you could make money melting Pennies, the older ones without alooy added, but recently a law was passed making it illegal. Burn off the insulation and check prices, your local scrap guy might sell it to a smelter nearby that will pay you alot more for a small drive. I think near $1.40 lb is what pennies break even at, and now at near 4.00 there is alot of money in copper. In Chicago people are stripping telephone lines in alleys, pulling wire and pipe out of new construction, stealing copper gutters and downspouts.

Reply to
ransley

I've never heard about the EPA doing hazard clean up when cars pile up and tires burn. Dozen vehicles in a pile from fog (VA), smoke (FL), and who knows what in CA.

They are saving the Super Fund money....

Reply to
Oren

In Las Vegas they do the same. Here, one section of Freeway is without lights. They park behind the sound barrier walls and pull wire from the freeway lights. They caught some people and promptly put them in prisonl after a speedy fair trial.

Heard one story where a crook electrician: STUBBED short wires to look like outlet boxes had wires in them. The house had to be wired....)

Reply to
Oren

I know here that if you burn it and it still has residue on it (if all the insulation isn't melted off) they still give you the dirty price for it.

Reply to
gore

if it is stripped.

CALL-THE-SCRAP-YARD

Reply to
Rudy

On 5/4/2008 5:18 AM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

You're not one of those folks who "liberates" cable from construction sites and accessible wiring in apartment buildings, are you? Why should we tell you?

Like the son of a bitch who recently cut out my catalytic converter from under my van. Probably used a portable Sawzall, nice clean cut ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, if you're gonna get ripped off anyway, better to be ripped off by a pro. Less collateral damage. Between house and car, I've probably been robbed 6-8 times. You can definitely tell the kids from the professionals. Once, they slap-hammered the hatchback lock on my car, causing 100+ $ damage, when all they had to do was look underneath and chisel off one little rivet to get the cylinder to pop out. (In that case, they were ballsy as well- 3 PM Sunday afternoon in a crowded Target parking lot.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

As I said, burn the insulation off in a fire in a barrel , contact several Smelters, and get MO Money

Reply to
ransley

On 5/4/2008 5:28 PM aemeijers spake thus:

Heh. Here in Northern California, we're starting to see gas thieves who just punch holes in the gas tank and collect it in a bucket ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 5/4/2008 6:44 PM ransley spake thus:

So you don't care that you're releasing toxic crap into the air? Figures.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No, your air time and bs post released more toxic crap into the air then tellin a guy to loose money ever will

Reply to
ransley

Per the article in my local paper the other day, burning produces PCBs and other contaminants, very black dense smoke, residue contains hazardous metal such as lead, etc. Anyone seeing one of those fires shouldn't need a reason as it should be obvious it ain't good for the environment. Seems since teh price of scrap has skyrocketed they are finding lots of these burn sites in out-of-the-way places.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K