Share our blessings

You mean that "If he weren't guilty, he wouldn't have been arrested" doesn't apply in this case?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 12/24/2010 9:17 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

For chrissakes, Manning has NOT EVEN BEEN CHARGED WITH A CRIME YET!

Not by the military. Not by the Justice Department. Not by Sweden. Not by ANYBODY.

Doesn't this mean anything to you?

Guess not.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Everybody has constitutional rights.

Chief among these is the right to give up these rights.

Manning did so when he voluntarily submitted himself to the rules and procedures of the military.

He's fortunate he's not chained to the wall. Inverted.

Reply to
HeyBub

One does despair of our beloved country when there is so much outright ignorance about the law, civilian or military. People who are "softened up" by excuses for unconscionable illegalities are so much easier to dominate when, eventually, the rule of law is entirely abandoned and we are turned into a militaristic banana republic. Unfortunately, the hammer falls on us as well as them. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I will post some comments about McCain's "harsh treatment under another thread. Look for it.

No, they are absolutely correct. The military is acting like playground bullies, but this is not a playground, and Manning is a human being they are trying to break by torture.

I can't wait till it happens to you. Then you'll understand that it's not about bleeding hearts and do-gooders -- it's about the rule of the law as opposed to the rule of the jungle. Have you ever actually READ the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Is that last one nowadays a Bill Of Wishes??

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I've read the Constitution; evidently you haven't.

"Article II

"The President shall be the Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States when called into the actual Service of the United States;..."

Some folks have difficulty wrapping their mind around the word "Chief" in the above declaration.

The Constitutional provisions regarding criminals (right to a lawyer, indictment by a grand jury, compulsory process for obtaining witnesses, etc.) do not apply to members of the armed forces. Military members are governed entirely by the UCMJ. Even appeals from their convictions do not go through the civilian court system, but instead to the Convening Authority, then up the chain of command.

The ONLY review by non-military courts is for habeas corpus

Reply to
HeyBub

I glanced through it but missed the part about intentional sleep deprivation. That part is troubling, if true.

I guess celebrities in detention are held in solitary at least sometimes just for their own protection. I wonder if the WikiLeaks guy would be arrested if he was in the U.S. over this. Our First Amendment would protect him I hope.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

(falls down laughing with tears in eyes.)

This is not the U.S. that I grew up in -- maybe you too.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson