How to properly dispose of CFLs

Mail them to your congressman! (Perhaps with a note "You know what you can do with this!"?)

The author goes on in a mini-rant, but his basic idea has merit.

HeyBub

Good question. In my area:

on the list.

In yours: The City of Houston will accept fluorescent light bulbs and tubes from residents at the North and South Environmental Service Centers and the Westpark Consumer Recycling Center.

For more information and directions found via the links below... ESC North

5614 Neches, Building C ZIP Code 77026

ESC South

11500 South Post Oak ZIP Code 77035

Westpark CRC

5900 Westpark ZIP Code 77057 R
Reply to
RicodJour

Why would I take a burned-out (or whatever keeps them from functioning) CFL to my recycling center when I could mail it to my congressman along with a note saying "You know what you can do with this!"

Reply to
HeyBub

To prove you are smarter than a brick??

Reply to
LouB

=3D=3D Better to waste $5 on fuel to recycle a bulb which cost $2.50...what a system...how can one lose? Better to save them up until you have a box full and ship them all to your elected rep who helped pass the stupid laws that supposedly saved the environment and energy costs by the banning of most incandescent bulbs. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

What do you do with your waste batteries, oil, paints, pesticides, medicines, etc? It's no big deal to have a hazardous material recycling container and deal with the stuff appropriately. Within a couple or three years there will be a light bulb deposit instituted. Might as well get in the habit now.

RicodJour

Who cares about the environment or the future. Let the kids and grandkids handle our stupidity.

Reply to
LouB

Do your kids and grandkids know what kind of world you are planning to leave them?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'm gunna through them in the street to break them !We played with murcury in the 50's , didn't make me stupid,dunt tink sooo ?

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Bricks are the Einsteins of the building material world!

Reply to
HeyBub

Some do the following:

  • Batteries - sold for lead scrap
  • Oil - lubricate the storm drains
  • Paints - in the trash
  • Pesticides - leave in schoolyard at midnight (same with refrigerators, dented propane tanks, etc.)
  • Medicines - in the trash or toilet

Some people do not understand what the city's "Solid Waste Disposal" department is supposed to do. If the item is "solid" and is "waste" the city presumably knows how to "dispose" of it. Some people, again, hold that when the city is incapable, incompetent, or unable, the fix belongs to the city.

Reply to
HeyBub

When you talk all I hear is this:

I like the song, but it makes no sense.

RicodJour

WTH!!!??? Do you _really_ think that the SWD picks through your garbage sorting it prior to disposal? Put hazardous waste in your can, that is last time it will be seen - goes straight to the dumping site.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Are you really this gullible.

Reply to
krw

You need to translate his posts. It will make more sense that way. I'll give you an example.

"Robble robblerobble robble. Robble robblerobblerobble robblerobble, robble robble "robblerobble". Robble robble."

I hope that helps clear things up for you. One 'robble' is all you'll ever need to glean as much as possible from his posting.

RicodJour

When it comes to Hey bub, anything is possible. Mostly way out there wierd as in that posting.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

After all this time I am still waiting for him to _ever_ make sense. Haven't seen him do it yet.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Nah, with Bub if it's really out there, look down at your leg. Someone has a firm hold on it.

Reply to
krw

You might think so, but it's not illegal to go through someone's trash. There is no presumption of privacy once the bag goes on a public right-of-way. That's why they make shredders.

Reply to
krw

That's why it's fun to print fake top secret documents and toss them in the trash to see who's going through your garbage. Nosy neighbors are a lot of fun to mess with. They will run to the police to report that you are a secret agent for a nonexistent government. I actually had a guy call the police when I asked him not to tell anyone where I lived, he thought he was going to get a reward. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas