How to properly dispose of CFLs

Start putting your bank statements and credit cards in the "private" trash and see if it matters.

Reply to
krw

Actually, in these days of identity theft, it does behoove us to cross- cut shred papers that contain info about bank, ATM, brokerage, credit card, insurance, etc.; all the personal stuff that some ***hole could use to steal your identity. It's pitifully easy to do so, I have seen on several sites and articles.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Even if it's a few times the roughly 600 calories expended riding a bike 20 miles, that's equivalent to ballpark of a pint of gasoline.

For that matter, most people are out of shape and overweight, and should expend those calories and not replace all of them. Also, the exercise is good - there are benefits to getting exercise as opposed to doing nothing but eating less.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

6 calories per minute is 360 calories per hour. That's fairly serious aerobic exertion that would get a bike moving more like 15-20 MPH, 24-25 MPH in the case of a time trialist in suitable clothing on a suitable bike. I would think around 15 MPH for most semi-casual cyclists, expending 480 calories over 20 miles, maybe 500. A BK Whopper has 510 calories without the usual mayo, 670 with.

Or one BK Double Whopper Value Meal with small fries and small sugared soda (1,430 calories), or - if you get the sandwich without mayo - the Double Whopper Value Meal with medium fries and sugared soda (1,470 calories). Either way sounds to me like close to $6 plus any sales tax.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

I can get 4 for $5-$7, without resorting to dollar store stool specimens.

Mine average about 4,000-plus hours of life in actual home use, including a bathroom and an enclosed kitchen ceiling fixture.

I know some that have worked well at nighttime in Philadelphia and its suburbs through even this very harsh winter. Besides, most are used indoors.

I know plenty that don't. In what kind of fixtures do yo have bad color experience, and what brands, models, wattages, styles and color temperature ratings gave you trouble, in what way?

I know enough about these to probably be able to give recommendations.

Or would you rather just bitch about CFLs?

Or keep them at home or in your trunk until next time you have another reason to go somewhere or somewhere close-to-somewhere where you can dump your dead CFLs.

One resource for finding where to dump them:

Based on making a special car trip to dump a lightbulb and CFLs lasting a fraction of what I see in my actual experience.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

No, you're not. At least not exactly. First, there is no law that compels you to comply with a search warrant. If there were, the cops could simply ask "Where's the gun?"

It IS against the law to RESIST a search warrant, but the courts have held that resistance must be active and forceful.

Consider a safe. The cops are at your place with a lawful warrant. They ask for the combination. You decline to provide it.

The cops will haul you before a judge and the judge will order you to provide the combination. If you still refuse, you'll be held in contempt until you do give up the combination.

Or the cops could say, "Okay, we'll do it the hard way" and bring in the acetylene torch.

To further expand on your statement, you are, in fact, required to "incriminate" yourself in a CIVIL case. "Where are your assets hidden?" must be answered and so on. The 4th and 5th Amendments apply only to CRIMINAL cases.

As an aside, that's why some well-meaning folks are perturbed over our guests at Gitmo. What these civil libertarians do not realize is that terrorists are not criminals. They have broken no law and are not entitled to the same rights as criminals. Specifically, they do not get a trial by jury, indictment, access to an attorney, the right to remain silent, or any of the other protections afforded in constitutional amendments that start with "In all CRIMINAL prosecutions..."

Just one example will make this clear: There are broad classes of people in the US that can be held against their will who are not criminals:

  • Juveniles
  • Spreaders of contagion
  • Those guilty of civil contempt
  • Some classes of illegal aliens
  • Material witnesses
  • My neighbor

Point is, "rights" (in these cases) apply only to criminals. Non-criminals are handled differently.

Reply to
HeyBub

You raise a good point. I thought it came from cows until I looked it up.

Most people don't realize, though, that whale oil is a renewable resource.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sigh. Another example (along with CFLs) where someone is admonishing others to "do what's good for them."

Enough, already.

Reply to
HeyBub

Admonishing? Try pointing out the obvious. I can only surmise why such a generalized softball statement would hit you in the gut...errr...sorry, upset you.

RicodJour

Do you ride, Don? Kind of sounds like you do.

RicodJour

Yes, I thought he might end his post with: "Everybody understands that and that's what I'm trying to explain!"

But there is a solution to unsolicited advice:

When frail granny-ladies approach and start whacking me with their umbrellas while hissing "You godless communist! You can't smoke here !!!", I calmly reply "It's all right, madam. I'm French."

Reply to
HeyBub

for a while...

Reply to
chaniarts

[...]

If I could just add to your list the category presently limited (AFAIK) to Bradley Manning, presently held against his will in solitary by the U.S. military . NO CHARGES HAVEhave ever been filed. He has been tortured for nearly a year to get him to roll over on WikiLeaks. He is deteriorating fast, mentally and physically.

As many know, Manning is the young soldier who tried in vain to bring to his superiors' attention a war crime committed by the Marine helicopter crews who had lotsa fun shooting innocent Afghan civilians on the ground. These shameless Marines had the the boundless chutzpah to VIDEOTAPE the party! (I have viewed it several times, still incredulous that our troops could perpetrate a war crime AND VIDEOTAPE IT! They must have thought themselves untouchable. Perhaps they were/ are; if they had thought their superiors would not tolerate such behavior, they would not have committed the war crime.

Eventually Manning gave up on his superiors, and the tape was posted on You Tube, to the consternation (and often horror) of people who still had a glimmer of faith in our "purity of arms".

People may feel disconnected to this event, but I challenge them to find any difference (except in degree) between the U.S. actions in this matter and the actions of foreign governments which do not have the rule of law.

This doesn't concern me, you ask? Well, if you don't see it as a moral and ethical challenge to our way of life, think about this: If they can do it to one, they can do it to another. When the law is no longer respected, anything goes.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Bradley Manning was arrested on May 26th of last year. He was officially charged six weeks later under the Uniform Code of Military Justice with violations of articles 92 and 134 (transferring confidential information to his computer and disclosing classified information pertinent to national defense).

Contrary to how some think Manning SHOULD be treated, the fact remains that every aspect of his case has been conducted according to law.

Reply to
HeyBub

Then you're in the wrong thread.

Reply to
krw

A distinction without a difference. The judge orders you to comply with his order and jails you for refusing. Good enough.

Sure, but that doesn't work so well with encryption keys.

Sure, you're not in danger of loss of life or liberty. Though, after the civil case the evidence is free for all.

Reply to
krw

Sure, but this car is going to Miami. Next car, buddy.

Reply to
krw

I don't even have a CFL in a light fixture. The incandescents are in the safe. They'll soon be worth more than gold and I've almost got the market cornered!

Reply to
krw

If there's no difference, why do cops have to get a warrant? The judge could very easily say: "You're looking for stolen furniture in a wall safe? Forget it."

It works quite well with encryption keys. So does a tank of water.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reading comprehension problems?

Meaningless.