Self storage units

Except that now, you can't sell stuff on Ebay unless you give them your date of birth, social security number and submit to "verification" by them.

I'd sold off lots of my old stuff on Ebay for over 20 years and was surprised they keep a record of my total sales ($19,000!)

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Bet you're not married.....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

You're probably right, but in our house if I wanted the Gladiator cabinets, my husband would veto. (OTOH, I wouldn't want them myself, so we're well matched there.)

We're going with a nice medium oak.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I signed up for local buy and sell group on Facebook and readily sold a bunch of stuff I no longer needed. No charge to do this. People show interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they come to you to buy.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The facebook buy & sell groups are good for being more local - good for most things - perhaps less so if you have an unusual or "collectible" item and you are looking to get top dollar. I've not any Ebay experience at all ; in my part of the world Kijiji is our Craigslist - but one tends to get a lot of idiots replying - making low-ball offers without even asking a single question about the item ; or VERY INTERESTED BUYERS - - until you tell them you won't deliver and they will have to < heaven forbid > leave The City and drive 20 miles to see it .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I sold a few things on Craigslist,but usually just give most of it away if I want to get rid of it fast and do not think it is worth much.

Surprising what you cn get rid of if giving it away.

Good thing there is no charge for this.

Facebook has the same thing and I have used it some too. Have even bought a few things from the 2 above places.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't do Facebook- I think putting your personal info and picture out there for all the world to see is just plain a bad idea.

I use a fake identity on Craigslist and a corresponding fake Gmail. Sales pickups are done right in front of a supermarket in a nearby busy shopping center during daylight hours only.

Especially when selling something worth a bit, I arrive well before the buyer, park my car a good distance away and have no more that a few bucks in my pocket to make change. Afterward, I let them leave first and don't drive directly home when I leave the parking lot.

For expensive stuff, I meet the buyer in the lobby of the police station.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Selling can be a hassle and I do not want to save a few dollars selling some things and prefer to give it away.

It can get annoying when you have to pay to get rid of something. A few years ago I had to pay Best Buy $25 to get rid of an old CRT monitor that had belonged to a consulting client. Only reason I paid was that I could charge the client for it.

Goodwill takes practically anything but may turn down computers, TV's and electric tools.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I finally signed up with facebook a few years ago - using my web email ; made-up name and birthday ; I declined to enter any personal data ; used an actual photo - of the back of my head ; immediately blocked all ads and notifications & such. I "friended" my 2 daughters to see the grandkid posts. Politely declined the few other friend requests from people who recognized my "photo". So far so good.

"Safe Trade Zones" are becoming a thing :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

My late wife had a collection of porcelain dolls. They would sell from $100 to $250 to the right person. I took them to Goodwill. Chances are, someone will get a bargain and pay $10 for one. I'm OK with that and did not have to identify, price, sell, ship, etc.

The few times I had stuff to sell over the years, I set it by the curb with a "free" sign and made someone happy to get it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But the problem with selling on Facebook is the same as selling on Craigslist- local market only...not national or worldwide like Ebay.

Oh, and help me understand the psychology of somebody going through a medium length post paragraph by paragraph and commenting/trying to refute each one ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yeah, slightly different purposes. We wanted stuff out of the house so the house could be shown. There wasn't a place to put a Pod and the agent probably wouldn't have wanted it on the property anyway.

I was working as a contractor, at first, so the insurance was crap. My wife kept her job so we'd have decent insurance. I lived in an apartment for three months so was filling the storage unit. We then bought the house and I emptied the storage unit truckload by truckload.

I was converted to a regular employee after nine months (was "promised" three) and my wife followed me. We used a professional mover at that point. We finally "sold" (more complications - it was

2011) the house.

The storage unit worked out really well. If we'd had both houses from the beginning it would have made things a lot easier.

Right. At some point, it's not about the money. Most of the stuff I moved was in boxes so wasn't too difficult; from storage unit, to truck, 70mi, to garage). My Unisaw was a little harder but not so much. It required a U-Haul trailer but it would have just to get from the garage to the basement.

Reply to
krw

It's not hard to see why she's you ex. I have enough problem with mine but I just start pitching. I'm just going through stuff that hasn't been even opened since our last move (some from the move before. I've thrown out 90% of my stuff. Hers is next. If she still wants it, she's going to have to go sift through it. If it's not been even moved in two years, do we really need it? Some, maybe. Most, no.

Reply to
krw

Good to know. I'll cross that idea off the list. Give ebay my personal information? Not likely.

Reply to
krw

Are you sure they're not scammers? Sounds like their MO.

Reply to
krw

That reminds me of the ham radio flea markets.

Reply to
krw

Which ? I've named 2 types ... 1. low ball idiots 2. interested but not really both might be scammers - FB has a "history" but I don't use it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My friend said that her customers stayed much longer than that, many for

20 years.

Then when a recession hit, quite a few moved out. They found storage area in their house or a family memmber or friend's house.

Others who had more than one locker consolidated into one during the recession.

Reply to
micky

We got rid of a lot of stuff in the kitchen or moved it somewhere else. The oven is outside now and we got rid of the dishwasher a while ago. We could still use more cabinet space. I don't want one more counter top appliance. My wife bought an air fryer that I am not sure why we have.

Reply to
gfretwell

We got a whole kitchen full of red oak Kemper cabinets for free. That is what prompted the remodel.

Reply to
gfretwell