Remote controlled access for storage units

Looking for recommendations for controlling access by users of our storage units. There are 40 units on the site.

These would be steel storage units with no on-site management. We want to control it all over the internet. Intention is to have users download an app that will allow them to unlock (and relock) via RFID on their phone, based on a code we send.

The entire storage facility needs to be run remotely so that the locking system in each individual unit can have the code reset by us remotely over the internet. Similarly it should be able to be over-ridden by us if rental money is outstanding.

Ideally the app should be linked in to our website so that users can sign up with direct debit payment.

Reply to
Bazza

Not all phones support NFC, so you would need some other way for them to use the access code as well...

Reply to
John Rumm

What if they don't have an NFC-capable phone?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Airbnb owners typically have similar requirements. I would look into solutions for that market.

(for airbnb, you don't want access to work before or after the scheduled stay, so codes need to only stay valid for a day or few)

I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up. They send the code by SMS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How often does the code change?

Reply to
Martin Brown

As often as 'they' want it to. It seems to be programmed some time ahead. I dunno if this is done at a control panel, or via a computer link.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

As part of a gated marina I have come across something like this:

where you make a call to a number and the sender's number is recognised. I am aware this is intended for multiple users but has some form of central control to add or remove numbers.

It means the most noddiest phones will work, and doesn't require anything to be installed, it just needs a mobile signal.

The above link is the first I came across and I am sure there are others.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, our local storage units have this. You also have to use a keypad, with a known number. Then you need your key!

Reply to
Bob Eager

But does the code have to be manually changed on a regular basis?

Reply to
alan_m

I dunno how the code is set. If you hire the room, you are sent the code. If you hire it on a regular basis and pre-pay, you are sent all the (different) codes for each occasion in advance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I would expect the code is either one-time-only or valid for a limited time period (to allow for multiple entries for getting things out of the car, etc, but only works for half an hour before the let starts).

The lock mechanism therefore needs linking to the code-generating system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

The thing is obviously micro proccessor controlled. And given the tiny amount of data, no real reason why there couldn't be multiple codes for the same day, each one time related. And obviously the code must work for all the time you have access to the hall.

I'd guess an up to date one would be programmed via an external device like a phone or laptop. Makes little sense providing a comprehensive local control unit in this day and age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News