Remote controlled oscillating stand fan

I want to buy another fan like my stand/pedestal fan which has been discontinued.

On my fan the remote control can be used to switch the oscillate function on or off.

I can't find any stand fans on eBay or Amazon whose remote control can do this.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

Reply to
pamela

If you can afford Dyson prices, they do that (remote control on/off, speed, timer and oscillation) I don't think I could justify buying one, but I was given one as a gift ... they're not silent especially on the faster speeds, but it's an "urgent whoosh" rather than "noisy propeller" sound ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not an answer but the only use I have for the oscillate function is to simply point the fan where I want it from where I'm sitting and then leaving it there. ;-)

As I have mentioned elsewhere, one of the things I generally do is consider the aerodynamics of a room and try to get any fan to

*circulate* the air around said room. This (like a ceiling fan) then gives a constant flow of air and therefore a constant cooling effect.

The last thing I want is to have it (effectively) blowing on and off (especially blowing off). ;-)

And remember, any fan will only add heat into a room ...

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When I was enlarging the exhaust vent hole though the wall for my mates new aircon the other day I managed get grease all up the back of my T shirt (off his shutter runners). ;-(

I took it off, washed the grease off with some hand soap in the sink, wrung it out and put it back on. It was surprising how cold it stayed till it dried out 10 minutes later. Good old 'enthalpy of vaporization' at work. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

pamela a écrit :

I have a floor/bench standing one, which is full 5 function remote. On/Off, three speed, timed run in 30 minute intervals upto 4 hours, a variable feature - where the speed alternates along with the directivity. Whilt the fan doesn't actually oscillate, it has front with vanes on, again remotely controlled - the vanes direct the air in a similar way to oscillating. Makers name is Holmes. I paid £10 for it over a decade ago, from an end of line type shop and I have been delighted with it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the info. That Holmes name rings a bell. I saw one in the John Lewis site and a review linked it to Bionaire but the only Bionaire stand fan I could find on their web site (Bionaire BASF1016GRC) didn't have remote controlled oscillation.

Reply to
pamela

I'm still interested in the ceiling fan you mentioned but got a bit put of by the talk of hum. For now I thought a second pedestal fan would be useful to take from room to room and remotely operated oscillate is useful for me. If it wasn't for that omission I would get the nice Honeywell fan I saw on Amazon.

I'm susprised remote oscillate is now so unusual. I thought all remote fans would have it but instead they have a manual plunger to engage some gear mechanism on the fan head itself which my fan doesn't have at all.

Reply to
pamela

T i m a écrit :

When too hot and I have taken a shower, I never towel off - the evaporation is very cooling. Another trick I use, when I have no better way, is to put my hands (even better feet) under a running cold tap - it is very refreshing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not done that since a holiday in Greece when it hit 32C! Makes you wonder how in the hell they're coping in Iraq with temperatures of 60C.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ a écrit :

I can't stand a lot of heat, I'm not one for sun bathing or holidaying outside the UK. When I was working in Italy, the temperatures got to

35C - it completely wiped me out.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ok, just so we know exactly what we are talking about here, ours are 'Rimini' ceiling fans from Homebase (bought on specials to 25 quid or so).

I think it's like many things, there are good ones and the others ... ;-)

It's like but not actually this (ours has no holes in the motor casing and the blades connect directly to the motor body).

The only time you ever hear any hum is on the slowest speed on the bedroom one *sometimes* ... and even when it does hum it's a tiny price to pay for the lovely moving air. ;-)

We picked one up off Freecycle for Mum, well for us at Mums as she rarely uses it. I have used the oscillate remote function but as I said, only as a lazy way of redirecting the airflow.

We have a Honeywell air filter (looks like a short R2D2) and that's pretty noisy on the first speed.

Maybe people don't like being in the airflow and then not. ;-)

I don't think Mums one does either (but it may have).

Apart from when you have a ceiling mounted fan and not easily able to reach the controls, I really can't see the need for something else to go wrong. After all, for any fan to have any effect you have to be pretty close to it in the first place? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nor us (and I never have).

I can cope as long as there is a breeze and I'm not doing anything strenuous.

It's funny, as a motorcyclist I get people saying '... this is nice weather to be motorcycling which can be true, as long as you never have to stop and can be beamed straight onto it, not have to get it out on the road and yer leathers on.

When we have been motorcycle camping / touring round the UK in the really hot weather we have been known to break camp and (ideally) leave the bikes and gear in the shade and then at the last moment, have a cold shower, dress and go!

The Mrs is still going though her 'Thermal phase' and so really really doesn't want to be anywhere hot.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't know about that, but I find oscillating fans really annoying. You find yourself wondering when the next blast from it will come. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1, unless they aren't blowing in my direction any part of their sweep. ;-)

Well the timing should be a bit more predictable than that (unless the oscillation mech is dying) but you are right in that all the eddy currents an airflow like that can produce does have them coming from all over the place.

Our ceiling fan was on all night and the lounge fan is on now (on speed 1) because there is no breeze coming though the open window. It feels very nice having a gentle but fairly consistent movement of air on your face and arms.

All I know is that if either of these fans died I would be looking to replace them asap (in fact when the switch broke on the bedroom fan I bought a whole new fan just to get access to a replacement switch quickly).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How about a tower fan?

Available at Amazon & Argos.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Am considering having a ceiling fan but our ceilings are 9.5 feet. Presumably this would need a longer than usual downrod.

Wouldn't such a long downrod look strange especially in a bedroom?

Reply to
pamela

1) I'm not sure how that would work as a) you don't often get the option and b) you would probably need to extend the wires (neither a big issue as such).

The thing is, because these fans move so much air, I'm not sure the extra foot of height would make that much difference?

We have our ceiling fan on speed one as I type, this ceiling is 8' 10" or so and we only have the smaller (36") fan and I can feel the air moving at ground level below the fan and in the corner where my PC desk is.

On speed 3 I have to pin down any paperwork. ;-)

Over a bed the extra room height would probably make even less difference as the chances are you be higher up (unless you sleep on a futon on the floor ), you are laying horizontal (so exposing all of your body, not just you plan view) are uncovered (no sheets or quilt) and possibly naked. Again, I'm not sure we would even have our fan on above speed 1 all night, no matter how hot it was.

You might put it on a higher speed when you first got into bed (to get cool) and then turn it down. The difference between speed 1 and off is dramatic and so we often leave it on 1 and manage the temperature with a sheet or summer quilt.

HTH, cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not sure what option you don't get!

I see drop rods of up to 72". Should be enough for most bedrooms.

But I agree that having the fan at "normal" height isn't so very important. Certainly my first experiences with ceiling fans were where you needed a telescope to see them - and they seemed pretty ineffective, but any vaguely sensible height will have quite an impact. It might even be an advantage with the airflow being nice and gentle which is just what you need when sleeping.

Reply to
polygonum

I was thinking that with a 9.5 foot ceiling having the fan high up would mean the light bulb may be too high.

At the moment the room light is on a 2.5 foot flex which is probably too long but moving it to a 18 inch drop, which might suit a fan, seems too short.

Reply to
pamela

Ok?

Not on any of the fans I've ever bought though?

Or churches! ;-)

And do they come with the extra length wiring ... ?

I've never had the opportunity / need to try anything else. ;-)

They must have been some pretty high ceilings! Are you sure they weren't helecopters?

Quite, as typically found in most houses, especially the older ones (so they are at least high 'enough').

I think we could do with a 1/2 speed on the bedroom fan but 1 is better than 0. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is this going over a pool table? ;-)

Being 6' 2" it's not unknown for me to bump into ceiling hung light fittings so for me, higher is better, especially if it involves spinning blades!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m