Latching DC power plug?

I'm looking for a latching power plug with strain relief, bit like these, to be able to push back into a small ceiling void to connect LED tape-strip lighting:

Rating 24VDC @ 5A would be sufficient, but should have strain relief and not require a £500 crimping tool (seriously - I have just rejected some EDAC connectors for that).

The plugs shown are great, but a little on the long side. Something half the length (so about an inch long for the plug, same socket) and able to pass through a 20mm hole would be perfect.

Anyone know of any - my search of the RS catalogue has only turned up the above so far...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why the need for strain relief on something in a ceiling void?

Alternative approach a Wago connector.

alan_m

Usage instructions

alan_m

XLR 3. That is the most common XLR as it is used for balanced audio, so scale of numbers makes it the best value. In broadcast, the XLR4 is is the standard for low volt DC - but no reason to pay more for home use where there isn't the possibility of mixing them up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mini DIN is also a standard for high-current DC power - up to 7.5A at 48V. For example:

('Kycon' is the most common manufacturer)

24V power bricks with Kycon connectors on a standard pinout are commonly available, should it be relevant.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes - there are lots of alternatives. Comes down to cost and availability for a small quantity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used 1/4in mono audio plugs successfully at 5A. Stereo 3.5mm should be ok, or pc style power connectors.

Reply to
Capitol

Latching?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They fail on the "latching" spec :(

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have some latching sockets for ¼" jacks.

Reply to
charles

we used to use XLR for this in the day

Tough, up to 15A, latching, metal....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And low noise :-)

Reply to
newshound

That might be a good option...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why do you need latching? Are you going to swing on them?

Reply to
Capitol

Good practise - don't want them creeping apart.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The ones charging my car don't and they are outside in the wind and rain.

Reply to
Capitol

I got a few of the above and actually they turned out to be less bulky than I thought:

Little long but will pass through a 20mm hole and will do for me. The connectors are well made, and have nice cable clamps.

So I'll go with these and can recommend them to anyone else who needs one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

How much?

Reply to