Using insulation panels uncovered: fire, smell and other issues

I am thinking of making some insulating panels wrapped in fabric which I can mount between the joists of a glass roof extension just with velcro or pegs or plastic strips or something, so exposed to the inside of the house. Maybe polystyrene plus a thin foil layer, maybe just polyeurethane - Celotex type material, maybe something else like mineral fibre between sheets of hardboard. should I worry about odours? does celotex smell? and should I worry about fire resistance?. Is there any reason why these materials can't be used uncovered by plasterboard?

tim W

If you want more detail - a glass roofed extension is too hot and way too bright in Summer and a bit chilly in winter. Glass panels (something like 6mm, 20mm, 6mm with coatings)sit on painted joists about 150 x 40 at 850 centres. Have been thinking about blinds, stuffed fabric things, elastic and pulleys but I think the cheap, simple and effective method might be to cut foam panels, cover them with fabric sit them between the joists on L section plastic or aluminium strips. they might need to be brought down for cleaning but I suspect once they are in place they will stay in place Summer and Winter reducing the glass area and insulating.

Reply to
TimW

Any breeze will cause hem to lift/blow away if lightweight. You can buy metal strips that poke up the cells of the polycarbonate sheets (if that's what you have).

Reply to
harry

Not answering your query, but short of plenty of roof vents, the best way to keep that sort of structure cool in summer is to put shading on the _outside_ , whether a roller blind, slats or whatever, like some of the stuff in these images. Once the sunshine comes through the glass, the heat is in the room. Best never to let it in, in the first place.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Forgot the TinyURL:

Chris Hogg

Not at all (and I have used loads of it recently, 3 different brands).

The only thing it will do is drop dust from the edges - so wrap some "Idenden" (made by Bostik) foil tape over the cut edges if that's likely to be a problem.

and should I worry about fire resistance?. Is there any

Celotex is usually treated so as not to propagate flame, but if flame gets to it it will produce loads of black noxious smoke, similar but worse than polystyrene.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Polystyrene is a disaster in a fire. It spreads it rapidly, producing thick toxic smoke. I wouldn't consider that option.

Some sort of blind is proably all it needs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Heavy interlined curtains for vertical windows, with UV resistant linings.

AS longs as the windows have no draughts, adding those essentially add a windows cill depth insulation barrier.

And in summer, draw them in the day and close the windows. Open the windows at night to let cooler air in

THat's assuming a concrete floor to act as a 'cool bank' by day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher