where to buy glass fibre insulation

I need to lay glass fibre insulation between my extension roof joists (will also have 25mm celotex underneath). The area is about 20m2, and it basically needs to be strips of insulation about 80mm wide and

4000mm long, and 225mm deep. Whats the best place to get this (online I would guess). I don't want to waste too much cutting. Cheers, Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Anyone think I'll do cheaper than knauf space blanket 200mm x 370mm x

4000mm from B&Q at =A35.68 each, plus the 15% discount starting tomorrow ? Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

80mm wide?

FWIW, you are better going to b and q, they've nearly always got offers on. If you can't get rolls in the widths you require, take a saw to the unopened roll and slice it into whatever widths you like, although 80mm is a new one on me, and then unwrap and lay in the normal fashion

Reply to
Phil L

That's about 1.5 sq m. Homebase have 8 sqm rolls of 170mm thick for =A34.39, so quite a bit cheaper.

jenny

The wider rolls usually are scored into widths so can pull them apart into narrower rolls once you've got the plastic off. A large cook's knife is good if you do have to cut. Tends to make less fibre dust. It was Knauf that I used that was scored but I can't remember the exact type now.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Whoops 800mm wide ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Anyone think I'll do cheaper than knauf space blanket 200mm x 370mm x

4000mm from B&Q at £5.68 each, plus the 15% discount starting tomorrow ? Simon.

Have you looked at Wickes? I was in there on Sunday and they were doing a buy one get two free offer on loft insulation and it did include space blanket. I am sure they do an OAP discount day if you know one:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for that, got the last 10 rolls at homebase, me and missus' car, got to go back tomorrow to pick up the last couple. The price is very very good. So enough for my extension and a bit of topping up in the loft. I think they bought a job lot of a funny size, since all you can get online is 100 and 200mm according to google. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think they are subsidised by energy companies as part of the government insulation tax.

They are very bulky so half the price online would be delivery!

I bought lots of cheap ones - too many - it popped the glass out of my car back hatch window and so wasnt such a bargain.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]