Netting to constrain insulation

I need some type of plastic netting to support and constrain glass fibre insulation between 225mm joists. To support it before plasterboarding, and to stop it from gettting pushed up too far into the air space used for venting the roof structure. Should be reasonably strong since the insulation may be compressed a little. Probably to be stapled onto timber. Anyone know where I can get some such stuff ? Cheers, Simon.

A decent garden centre will sell fruit cage type netting (IIRC 4M wide) by the metre.
Vortex4 wrote:

The same places and possibly ebay too will sell "pea & bean netting" with about 100mm square mesh. Should be cheaper than fruit cage netting and for you application, just as effective. If you are doing other work and have any breathable membrane left over, that can be used too.
Bob

Netlon insulation support netting is the stuff you need. Available by the meter (from a 2m wide roll) from our local builders' merchants. Some online places do it too. About 15p a square metre as far as I remember, or cheaper by the roll.

Round here is seems they only want to sell rolls of 100m (and screwfix make you buy 2 rolls). Looks like the cheapest way will be to bung up some gaffer tape and a few staples for good measure. Gaps to hold back insulation from are only 400mm x 700mm, a couple of strips will do. Or how about PVC Polythene Jointing Tape, all cheap from screwfix.
But - how will any of this last before it breaks down ? It would be under slight tension, and the roofspace may get hot in the summer. Cheers, Simon.

you only need to support it till the plasterboard's up. A bit of tape or thin wire should do fine.
NT

Screwfix sell it, designed for just that purpose. The rolls are 100m, which is a bit excessive, and they insist you buy at least two. So it's very cheap per metre, but you're now looking at over 50 quid! They don't sell it at the counters either.
Toolstation do a cheap vapour barrier, which is what I used instead.

Why do they do that ? Its a right pain. Not many DIYers will want two, tradesmen might though. I'll look at the toolstation vapour barrier. Cheers, Simon.

Was going to mention.......... make sure you have a vapour barrier on the 'warm' side of that insulation. Otherwise warm and therefore damp laden air from the house permeates out through the insulation and the moisture in it condenses somewhere within the insulation. Making it damp and not very effective as an insulator! Quite apart from potential mould/rot. Unheated areas such as attics above should be cold and vented to/from outside.