Building interior windows insulation panels

For years I have thought about building my own insulation panels for my house windows, as shown here:

But that chap uses heat-shrinkable plastic to cover the frames.

I always intended to cover the frame with a thin sheet of hardboard both sides, then fill the space within the 'box' with some insulating material, such as loft insulation. These panels would only be in place during the night in winter, say from 4:00 pm till 8:00am. They would be light in weight, so easily placed or removed. During the summer they could be stacked in the garage.

Question 1: Is it better to use the heat-shrink method with air as the insulation medium, or to fill the void with insulation material?

Question 2: What would be an alternative suitable material to fill in the void?

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , MM writes

When things have sunk so low it may be best just to hang yourself from the curtain rail.

Reply to
fred

Any significant volume of air will be able to setup convection currents that will lower its effectiveness.

Fix a piece of solid PIR foam to the board.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, good idea!

MM

Reply to
MM

Is that something like Celotex?

MM

Reply to
MM

On Friday 08 November 2013 15:38 MM wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes. Or Kingspan, Ballytherm and ahost of other branded version :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have already done this with insulated shutters, all windows. Plus lots of other stuff. I have a zero heating bill. Pix here.

I used celotex sealed into the box with canned foam. Makes it very rigid so only light construction needed.

Reply to
harryagain

Yup, or Kingspan, Ecotherm, "seconds" from any number of places. Dense yellow foam usually with foil on at least one side.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the gap is more than about 20mm it won't work very well as convection will start up. Hence the 20mm gap in double glazing.

PIR stuck to a bit of painted MDF with hinges on the sides, they used to fit shutters in the past to keep warm.

You can use thermal curtain liners and/or thermal blinds too.

Reply to
dennis

IIRC "loft insulation" (Rockwool etc) is far from light

Reply to
stuart noble

What about making a frame and filling with polycarbonate sheeting I think you can get double or triple layer, dont know about the insulation value but would still let light in.

Reply to
ss

Fitting a second double glazed unit would (approx) halve the heat loss and reduce the sound by a lot if its about 100mm from the outside window.

Reply to
dennis

When things have sunk so low it may be best just to hang yourself from the curtain rail.

LOL

Reply to
Judith

I was just thinking that. I mean, covering the windows with hardboard???

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Only at night. No different to shutters really

Reply to
stuart noble

The pics are VERY impressive!

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm not unduly worried about the fact that the panels I envisage won't let light in, because they are only for winter use during hours of dusk and darkness. However, I may cover the street-facing side with some net curtain material so that it doesn't look like the house is condemned when I'm away.

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, now I was planning to butt the panel up against the existing double-glazed window frame, but you seem to be suggesting that it would be better placed just inside the window recess?

MM

Reply to
MM

Except that proper shutters would look better.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I wrote that before looking at Harry's photos.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar