Much insulation value in shiplap cladding?

Does anyone know how much extra heat-insulation value the addition of shiplap cladding is likely to make to a house? I'm not thinking of adding it for insulation value, rather to cover up the hideous exterior currently on show. But it would be interesting to know if there will by an increase in insulation as a by-product. If there isn't much, then I might consider laying more insulation in the loft.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Not a lot - it will vary a lot depending on the water content of the wood, so getting a useful value won't be easy.

If your walls don't have any insulation, then consider adding a layer of

50mm Kingspan under your cladding. This will make a huge difference.
Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, Grunff. I didn't think wood cladding would add much. The builder has been trying to get me to add Kingspan, but it's too much trouble, ripping the walls open (messy), and too expensive for us right now.

Which reminds me, I must research this Kingspan!

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

It does a bit, mainly by virtue of slowing down airflow past the outer walls.

If those are already insulated, that won't make a deal of difference, however.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why does it involve ripping the walls open? You just lay the Kingspan against the wall. Screw battens through the Kingspan to the wall. Fasten cladding to the battens (you needed the battens anyway). This has the benefit of putting the wall /inside/ the insulation, so it evens the temperature fluctations out.

Reply to
Martin Bonner