Is my sunroom included in square footage calculations?

Pardon me if I double-posted, but I am not sure if my last posting worked.

I have a home with an attached sunroom of approximately 400 sq. feet. I know that it was not included in square footage calculations when I purchased the home. I am having a significant amount of work done on the room including piering the foundation, replacing the roof, replacing the saltillo tiling, refurbishing the cabinet work, interior painting, and replacing the exterior doors and storm doors. It is totally enclosed, althought the roof is not insulated (metal roofing on plywood). It has electricity, and lighting. My question is would this room be counted as interior square footage by the simple addition of a window heating/cooling unit?

What would need to be done to make it count in interior square footage calculations for the purpose of possible resale in the future. Since I am already spending a significant amount of money on this room, if I can increase the square footage of the home, and hence potentially increase the resale value of the home, by simply adding some type of heating and A/C unit, it would make sense to do this.

Reply to
orangele2003

If all you want is to show a bigger number of square footage for re-sale, then just add the amount in. Your realtor may have an opinion though. This could hurt you though if your taxes are based on square footage.

Reply to
hawgeye

Around here if the space is heated and allows four season occupation, then it's figured into the house area. People do a lot of sketchy things when playing around with area calculation. It's nice to see that you're trying to do the right thing.

RicodJour

Are you getting permits for construction and electrical? If not better beware your house insurance may not cover any of house in the event of a fire starting in that section. Also you would need to check with insurance coverage for added size on house. Just throwing this at you for consideration. W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Regarding permits----Have already been through a bad experience on this with another ongoing project. Have engineer on board, and contractor is contractually obligated to get whatever permits required. As far as I know however, no permits are required. The roofing replacement was windstorm certified by the engineer, and there is no electrical work, and no other structural work. Permits were required and obtained for the piering work.

Reply to
orangele2003