Hunter Fan Remote Question

I have a Hunter ceiling fan in my dinette with a Hunter 22787-A remote control unit installed. I bought the house two years ago with these installed.

The remote had been working fine with the fan and the light from the time I bought the house until this past Spring.

Then I started noticing that whenever I turn the fan on, the light would flash on briefly (assuming the light is switched off) and making a buzzing noise while it flashed on.

Any ideas what's causing this? Is the remote going bad?

Reply to
jeffg

I don't mean to needlessly sound an alarm, but that doesn't sound like the remote, it sounds like a short circuit or other more serious problem. The remote isn't buzzing.

Reply to
roger61611

I agree with Roger, it's not the remote. There's a problem with the fan itself, most likely a short.

I installed two Hunter fans, and one wouldn't work at all with the light. My electrician found a short, fixed it, and no problems since. I don't even think he charged me, since he was doing other work at the time.

Hunter fans are good and cheap, but they are cheap, and they're quality control leaves something to be desired. Stop using that fan until you get an electrician to come out and fix or replace it, or you may burn down your house.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

Sounds like the receiver is acting up.

Reply to
wkearney99

I've now got two different opinions - a possible short and a bad receiver.

Let me clarify, if this helps. The buzzing/zapping noise only happens briefly when I turn the fan on - it's not a constant thing while the fan is going.

Also, using only the light without the fan is fine. It seems like the receiver is getting confused and turns the light on when it gets a signal to turn the fan on.

I've been trying to get my electrician to come to do a few other things

- I'll have him look into this also.

I just wanted to get an idea of what the likely problem is.

snipped-for-privacy@programmer.net wrote:

Reply to
jeffg

Dumb question first. Have you tried new batterys? Extremely slim chance that a weak signal could confuse the receiver. Slim to none I would say but it's worth a buck for a new battery to try it.

Some of the Hunter fans lack the standard switches and rely on the remote for all the functions. In this kind of unit the electronics for the remote are built in to the fan above the light kit. Not much you can do with these but replace them.

The other kind is a standard fan with the standard switch and has the receiver for the remote in the canopy above the fan. These are easily replaced with a new unit.

My best guess is that the receiver is getting flakey. As with anything electrical when it starts acting funky it is best to cut power to it until it can be diagnosed and repaired properly.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.