Excessive House Settling?

I moved into a new house a few months ago. 2 story. Original house was brick colonial. Owners added a frame addition on both floors. I'm worried that the 2nd floor is going to wind up in the backyard one day becuase I hear alot of what sounds to be settling noises. This happens at least once every 10 minutes. Live in midwest so I'm not sure if weather is playing a part in this. Can someone with experience chime in here and let me know if there's reason for concern?

Thanks

Reply to
nugz

What's it sound like ? A muffled clunk can be the ductwork. Have you checked out the attic or anywhere else you can get to ?

Reply to
roger61611

Sounds like as if someone taps on the wall with a penny, sometimes a little more muffled I guess. Now that you mention it, most of the time it does sound like it's coming from the attic. Attack is just a a crawl space so I cant really go running around up there. What should I look for if I suspect the attic?

Reply to
nugz

BTW, I'm not going to rule out the duct work yet since I haven't thought of suspecting that. What would cause a muffled sound in the duct work?

Reply to
nugz

Unless you see cracks in the walls, the doors don't fit, or other such things, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. My house is over 60 years old, and it still does the old crack and pop routine every day, even in the parts I haven't done work on, though it's more pronounced in the places I've stuccoed, put new windows or other fixtures. This happens every morning and evening, when the temp changes and everything is expanding or contracting at different rates.

To further ease your mind, find out your state's statute of limitations for suing homebuilders. If your house does the Titanic, you'll be able to go after them.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

Thanks for the replies fellas. I do see some cracks on the new side where the addition was added but nothing major. Should I assume that there would be absolutly no cracks anywhere or is a minor crack an indication of impending doom? Regarding patterns with the cracking noises, I definitly hear it at night alot before bed. I will try to see if I can determine how often it does it during the day but that will have to wait til the weekend since I work 9 to 5.

Funny thing about the addition is that it seems to pitch downwards and away from where it connects to the old part of the house on the 2nd floor. Definitly a small 2 to 3 foot section seems to be on a small incline away from the old part of the house, but then seems to level off in the bedroom. Only have a 3 foot level but so far everything seems to be pretty level in both of the bedrooms. If anything, the new bedroom floors seem to level a hair higher when I measure in the center of one of the rooms. So I'm not sure if its just that "connecting" section thats a little off or whether or not the addition is really settling. Like I said, this fact plus the noises has me terribly worried.

Reply to
nugz

Lots of construction lumber is now delivered "green" with much moisture content which will slowly leave the wood.

Drying of wood causes it to shrink across the grain. This results in some settling until dimensions stabilize.

My house, 50-yrs-old, sitting on bedrock, still experiences such phenomenon during the drying out that takes place after summer. Not as frequent as yours, but kinda like muffled rifle shots.

As others mention, if no cracks open and no other structural problems, it's just natural. Timber music. :')

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Might just be sunlight causing expansion. I've got a 50 year old brick-on-block rambler that regularly pops around 10am and 2pm during summer on sunny days. Does yours make the noises at night or on overcast days? If not then expansion's probably the cause. As for settling, do you see any cracks in the dryall anywhere? If you've got a long level (not just a 3 footer) you could make note of how the flooring lines up between the old and new portions. Make note of how it's situated now and then check it over time.

Reply to
wkearney99

If it's just minor cracks in the drywall where old and new meet, it may be nothing, but keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.

As others have stated "cracking/popping" noises are common in most homes as temp changes. They usually go away with time, as nails pull out or wood dries. But if they occur at about the same time each day, you could sit an wait and try to isolate them.

Sometimes just an extra nail/screw or two in a joist or floor can stop it.

If the addition is slightly crooked it may have been built that way, as some wall framers only rely on their eyes and never bother with a level. Or they simply want the job done and don't care as long as they get paid But floors won't shift enough to notice without walls cracking as well, so recent patching in the area may be a warning.

If it really concerns you, bring in a structural engineer for an evaluation. His report may help you sleep nights.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun