Excessive settling noises and sheetrock cracks

I moved into a new home three years ago in MN. The house was built in 2005 so is 7 years old. The house is built in a low spot in the neighborhood and the soil is mostly clay so the sump pump goes off hourly in the summertime. Last winter the pump failed during an unusual rain storm in January and I replaced it. Before I could get the new pump in a noticed water coming up in the cracks in the basement floor so the water level was high under the house. Now this winter I am seeing some unusual sheetrock cracking and an excessive amount of settling noise to the point that I'm starting to wonder if I have foundation problems. This winter has been characterized by extreme I temperature swings from -20 to 30+ but that is not the only time I hear the popping noises. They are like muffled gun shots. The foundation is poured concrete. The sheetrock cracks are all vertical and there is one hairline crack in the kitchen ceiling by a light fixture.

The only other notable change is I installed a new thermostate and left it at the factory setting which automatically turns the heat down to the high 50's at night and during the day when no one is here and then adjusts to the high 60's in the morning and evening.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Reply to
MN Homeowner