Convert 2nd bedroom into a bigger, remodeled kitchen; convert old kitchen to a den. Good or bad idea?

I bought small (1100 sq ft) 2br/1ba, single story house in a pretty solid market. The kitchen needs renovating, but instead of keeping it in the same 65 sq ft footprint, Im considering turning the second bedroom (130 sq ft - opens off of the living room, and has double doors to the back patio) into the new kitchen.

The current kitchen would be turned into an office/den or nursery. It is too small to be legally described as a bedroom.

My plan is to live here for a few years, then rent it. My thought is that the house will be very rentable to a young couple with zero kids, or a small child.

The second bedroom is currently in an awkward location in the house, and has the double doors out to the back, so isnt very secure if you wanted to keep your smaller child in it.

Im concerned about destroying value, since I bought a 2br, and if forced to sell down the road, will only be able to list it as a 1br. Albeit with a sweet kitchen and a den.

Reply to
Justin

Get a Design Builder or a Design Software for $30 to run a few layouts. On 1 hand I'd say pare the bedroom down a bit for a slightly bigger kitchen in order to keep the old kitchen as a legitimate 2nd bedroom. Losing a bedroom is a huge deal breaker in any market.

- On the other hand, there shouldn't be any interior bearing walls for a place that small and you'll likely be far better off by gutting the place. Then, you can shave a bit off the living-room, delete closets entirely and relocate bedrooms and bathroom and include the kitchen as part of the living-room.

Reply to
Anonymous