Fitting a kitchen

When you folks fit kitchens do you bother about hidden bits of wall etc? I've just fitted ours and if/when we sell the property and the new owner rips out the kitchen for a makeover, they'll think a bomb landed on the place. E.g, a new larder unit now hides a door which housed a blown-air heating unit, a strip of sockets under the wall units now hides the old kitchen light switch, the fridge/freezer now hides an un-plasterboarded piece of wall, the upstand on the sink unit hides part-missing wall tiles etc etc. It looks fine but if ever ripped out would look diabolical.

Reply to
fred

Most posh looking kitchens hide all sorts of old crud when you peel back the top layer!

(not sure sure about using an appliance to hide missing plasterboard, just in case you need to replace and the new one is a different size!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Agree - that one would make me cringe. The others are quite normal.

Having said that, the last kitchen I did went right back to the brickwork in places, all services stripped out and replaced, and the whole thing was plastered before the kitchen installed, so anyone ripping it out might be in for a pleasent surpise.

The people I bought the house from originally told me that when they came to move in to what they thought was a reasonably furnished house, they found the previous occupants hadn't decorated behind the non-fitted wardrobe and other bedroom furniture they'd taken with them, and hadn't carpeted under any of it or the bed! Came as quite a shock on walking in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , John Rumm writes

My favourite was when I removed a cupboard and found a neatly drilled hole in the plastered wall with blackened flash marks around it with a penciled note beside it saying "live". No attempt had been made to repair it. A ring main was no longer a ring!

Reply to
Bill

Providing you haven't got any hidden live electrics in any of the above (light switch? Heating unit?) I would think that's fine.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Do you work for Moben?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

IME a ripped out kitchen looks diabolical anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher