ice and water shield

do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water shield?

Reply to
Jannes

For what purpose? Around here it's installed on roofs to protect against ice damming. And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the lower edge until it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below. Maybe that's where your 2 feet is coming from?

Reply to
trader_4

Here they want the membrane to cover the entire roof. This is what I needed on my addition.

It is so, when the hurricane blows the shingles off, you still have a roof.

Reply to
gfretwell

About $20 thousand more.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do tell us about your extensive experience in the American roofing industry.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I priced a hidden-fastner metal roof install and it was twice the cost of the GAF Timberline shingles. Guess which I chose.

Reply to
Larry

Did the same about 20 years ago. Made no sense to spend that much more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The only way metal roofs are not significantly more expensive is if you use "barn roofing" - AKA sheet steel - which is a common roof in rural Australia

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I installes Certainteed Northgate for the same reason. I could rationalize spending more for premium shingles, but not as much more as a GOOD metal roof would have coar and I wasn't about to waste money on a crappy metal roof that would look like crap within 10 years or one that looked terrible the day it was installed (barn roof)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If I were told that my lifetime and the roofs were the same, I'd go for the metal roof.

Reply to
krw

I have about 20 years to go before I die, maybe a bit more. Why should I pay for a roof that will outlive me by 50 years?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Yeah, that was kinda my point. I would like to think that I have 20 years but I know I don't have 50. I highly doubt that I'll have even

20 living in this house.
Reply to
krw

I put on a 30 year roof and moved after 20. When I made that decision I had no idea that I'd be moving so cheap worked.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Would you be referring to corrugated galvanized roofing ? We used5 rib

27ga steel , with a 40 year warranty . Cost with me installing was a little more than having someone else apply shingles - which would have a shorter warranty period and no protection from hot embers (very rare but ...) coming from the wood stove . Green is a very popular color out here in the woods ...
Reply to
Snag

I fully expect the roofing here - house and all outbuildings have the same green 5 rib steel - to outlast me . But dammit , I'm gonna give it a run for the money ! I figger the longer I stay active the longer I'll last . Cutting 4 to 6 cords of firewood every year is a good start on that .

Reply to
Snag

Exercise only matters to a point (and after can be a negative). Choosing the right parents is far more important to longevity.

Reply to
krw

Corse it does when it lasts much longer. Mine is just as good as it was when new, now 50 years later.

Same with bricks instead of the stupid timber you fools use for the walls too.

Reply to
Joey

Yup - Barn Roof .Can be galvanized or galvalume - or aluminum. Several different profiles but generally installed as single sheets vertically the length of the roof - 4 feet wide, more or less.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nobody does it like that on house roofs here anymore.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

My house was built in 1947. Everyone before me installed asphalt shingles. When I had it re-roofed, I would have been foolish to change to steel. I'd never recover the additional cost.

Are you pricing the materials or the total cost of an installed roof system?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...