Security Screws

  • posted

Trying to fix a small electric heater held together with security screws.

The screws have a recessed triangle in the center; sort of like a square drive screw, but it's a triangle.

Do these screws have a name?

John

Reply to
John‰]

PrecisionMachinisT
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

They are TP3s.

Thanx.

John

Reply to
John‰]

I had to get into these once and I just ground an old screwdriver down until it fit. It would be easier to keep the triangle "equilateral" if you started with the right sized allen. Just knock off every other point.

Reply to
Greg

You can remove them with a left-handed drill bit and a variable speed reversible drill. Replace with normal sheet metal screws, or put them back using a normal drill bit.

You can buy a left-handed drill bit at your local full-service hardware store.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

There ya go !!!

Just make sure and start out with a left-handed allen wrench.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

John,

These security screws may have a name, but in any case are usually obtained as part of kits of security screw bits.

Having said that I've had a look at my various security screw kits, which I've bought as I've seen them, and I don't seem to have anything like that. New to me, at least!

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13) ebff snipped-for-privacy@lnubb.pbz

Reply to
RMD

guess it you're clever enough to take apart the heater with the keep out screws, they don't need to worry about loosing any lawsuits after your family burning up in a house fire.

Reply to
bumtracks

Try here for bits that will handle most security screws

Charlie Bress

Sounds like a tri-wing driver. They sell these at McMaster-Carr. Look under tamper resistant drivers.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski