Dehumidifier Repair

Can anyone help with my Whirlpool Dehumidifier Repair ?

The unit freezes up after a very short while. I usually buy a new one every time this happens.

Is this something I might be able to repair myself ?

What could be wrong ?

What would I have to do to repair it ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MARTS

Reply to
Marty

They have recalled mine a number of times. After the last "fix" it no longer causes the problem.

It seems they and most other makes, produce models for use in warm dry areas and a more expensive version for cool damp areas like basements.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Buy a timer for it. Give it a two hour rest every 12 hours to let accumulated ice melt off.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Not likely.

Whirlpool would know, have you asked them?

Follow instructions from Whirlpool after you contact their customer service. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Dale Farmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cybercom.net:

Or,if it has a "level" or humidity setting, turn it down so it doesn't run so much.

It helps to clean off the condenser coil before you start using it each year. Accumulated goop can increase the likelyhood of water freezing on the coil.

Reply to
David W.

"David W." in news:Xns9582F0AB6D551usenetwalccom@

216.196.97.136:

could you put one of those hceap two-fan window fans to blow across the 'coils' (never seen one of these dehumidifiers, so i can't visualize, but A/C coils tend to ice).

Reply to
Choise76Smu

Reply to
Betsy

Mine was recalled three times as I remember (I had ignored one of them) and they tried to fix it once under warrantee. It was the last recall that replaced the humidistat as I recall, that took care of the icing up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't they have a temperature sensor on the evaporator coils to prevent them from getting below freezing? A lot of automotive AC systems have this.

Reply to
James Sweet