San Francisco Condo Prices

Article here talking about the drop in pricing. I can't imagine paying those kind of prices just for a place to live.

Dean Hoffman

Somebody must have been able to imagine it.

Even here in little old Ann Arbor, MI, some downtown luxury condos have been getting $1 million.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I can't imagine wanting to live there if they gave me one for free. I would have like to visit for a day or two years ago, but not the past 10 or so.

In five years they will change the name to "Detroit on the Bay"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, it's just Oakland spreading out...

Reply to
rbowman

When you get information about a place from national media, you aren't getting an accurate depiction of the actual current state of affairs.

Housing has been overpriced in San Francisco for decades, due to excessive demand. Someone must like it. The transition to work-from-home has indeed affected prices downtown, but not in the main residential neighborhoods which are still quite desirable.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have a nephew who lives there, Daly City iirc. His wife was born there and never would leave or get too far from her parents. When they were married my mother went out and wasn't impressed. Although they were relatively well to do, the parents' house was on a very small lot with the garage underneath, one of Malvina Reynold's little boxes made out of ticky-tacky.

The first time I was there I realized the city had a hell of a PR department to make cold and foggy into 'sweater weather'. In Portland ME they just say the weather sucks and get on with it.

Reply to
rbowman

40 years ago my brother wanted to move to SF. He's a radiologist, and he went there and looked into buying a radiology practice, but they were too expensive and he stayed in Dallas.
Reply to
micky

Not at all unusual in my area (North Bethesda, Bethesda, Chevy Chase MD) for high quality condos with large square footage and many amenities. Condos here routinely go for $700K - $1.3M. Cheapest I've seen in our area on the fringes of those areas start at about $450K for a 1 or 2 bdrm with few amenities. In addition to location, location, location, price is fairly well correlated with what you get. Oh, and many of those sales are all cash sales

Reply to
Peter