Re: OT: meeting notes

My kind of man. I know where I stand with people like that.

I was over $ 150,000 better off not too long ago under Trump. Hard to tell how much lower the IRA and other stocks will go. Just glad I parked a lot in cash just after the election or would have been out twice that or more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The "IRA and other stocks"?

An IRA is an account shell. Stocks are investments. What investments you hold in the IRA account determines the value.

You are not "out" anything unless you sell your investments when they are down. The question is: Do you know when to get back in?

Have you happened to notice that the stock market *always* goes up? The markets reach all-time-highs after every reversal. Look what happens to investors who are not in the market when it rebounds.

(This is just one of many studies. The numbers may vary slightly, but the outcome is basically the same)

"Our research suggests that missing a handful of the best days over longer time periods drastically reduces the average annual return an investor could gain by simply holding on to their equity investments during market sell-offs. Over the past 30 years, missing the best 30 days (based on S&P 500 Index returns from September 16, 1991 through September

15, 2021) took the annual average return from 8.5% per year down to just above the average inflation rate of 2.2% over that same period. Our research also showed that over the same time period, missing the best 40 days took the average annual return to below 1%, and missing the best 50 days resulted in a -0.3% annual return, on average."

As some folks have been known to say "Time, not timing, is the best way to capitalize on stock market gains."

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

In the 3 times I have 'timed the market' I have done very well. Should do as well this time,.If the market drops 30% and I sell at a 10 % drop and get back in with a 10%rise, I am still ahead by 10 % from just riding things out. Like last year I bought and sold one stock that about every few days it went up and down several dollars. Traded it about every two weeks on the average. and made a lot.

No, not out unless selling, but just not making as much either, so I count that as a loss.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

OK...I'm confused. You said "Just glad I parked a lot in cash just after the election or would have been out twice that or more."

That sounds like you have had a lot in cash since November 3-ish, 2020.

Even with what has happened YTD, the S&P is up over 17% since Election Day 2020. You've had "a lot" parked in cash all that time? If that's true, your timing isn't so great.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I am not sure when I put a lot in cash without looking,maybe sometime around Dec 2021. However in the 4 mutual funds and a managed account they are all way down from the time I put a lot in cash. I would have thought the managed account would have done better but it is way down from when I moved the funds I manage myself to cash.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Assuming you were talking about the election in which Biden beat Trump, December 2021 is not "just after the election". When you are off by a year with your proclamations, it makes it kind of hard to believe the other things you are telling us.

Feel free to correct me if I've got that "election" thing wrong.

I hope the managed funds are doing better than the index for their asset class. If not, you need to find better managers.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

When you are over 70 time flies by. I as waiting on the market to drop around 5 % after the election. Many so called pros have been predicting a 30 to 50 % drop for a while. It may not reach that low if the Republicans take control and can overide Biden.

The managed funds are holding their own or slightly better than index funds. I would have just thought they would do better. One reason about 1/3 of the IRA is in a managed fund is it gives me access to someone I have dealt with for many years. Everything was fine before the Frank-Dobbs act messed things up. He can not legally do for me like he once could.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

At some point I would think even you would be unhappy with the massive damage Biden and his handlers are doing to the US.

Reply to
Pthirus Pubis

On Saturday, June 25, 2022 at 5:30:30 PM UTC-4, Pthirus Pubis wrote: <<< flushed >>>

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On 6/25/2022 6:33:19 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote: <<< aborted and flushed >>>

Reply to
Pthirus Pubis