Purpose of shower switch

Why do houses have a switch to turn the shower off, either a cord on the ceiling or a switch in the hall?

Can't be for safety - if you're in the shower and get a shock, if you've managed to get out to reach the switch, you've got away from it anyway.

Can't be to isolate to work on it, there's a fusebox for that.

Don't need to turn it off when you're finished showering, there's a switch on the shower itself.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

If I answer this, do you promise to f*ck off?

It's so somebody not in the shower can isolate it quickly before helping the poor bugger who is being electrocuted.

Reply to
GB

I smell JWS has nym shifted again.

Reply to
Frank

And how many times has this ever actually happened?

And why are we therefore not forbidden to have showers when nobody else is home?

And why can't they make showers which are guaranteed not to electrocute you?

And why can't the other person just switch the shower off on its own switch?

Reply to
Steven Watkins
?

I don't trust the contact gap on a microswitch.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Indeed, he has. And, as you can see from the post he made at the same time as you, answering one inane question just gives him scope to ask a lot of even sillier ones.

Reply to
GB

It is a sensible question, do you not know the answer?

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Trust it to do what? When it's switched off, you're not in the shower. When you're working inside the shower, you've turned it off in the fusebox.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

You have just fed a very well known troll.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why would anyone have a shower activated with a switch? I've lived in many places, traveled to many countries. Some showers have lights that are on switches, but not the shower itself. The only place I saw such a shower was on my boat and it's a 12V pump.

Trolling?

Reply to
trader_4

No, I just want the answer to my original question. If the answer isn't sensible, I'll respond in a discussion. Welcome to newsgroups, you'll get used to the idea one day.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Interesting to you, but stupid to ng.

Reply to
Frank

Can you please describe the situation more fully. Does this switch turn off the water, or does it turn off electricity (such as for a light in the shower compartment)?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Go f*ck yourself Hucker, because you can't a f*ck anyway else.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

For god's sake buy a killfile.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Don't tell me you still use the kind you shove on the bath tap? We have electric showers in the UK now.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Only if you're a bunch of dimwitted electricians that just follow the regulations without understanding them.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I was asking someone with intelligence, not somebody who drove taxis and hung extinguishers on walls.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Commonplace in the UK. Circuit from fusebox feeds switch on bathroom ceiling or in the hall. This feeds the 8kW (ish) electrically heated shower. The switch disconnects the heater in the shower (pointlessly as the shower has it's own controls). It would be like turning off your microwave oven at the wall every time you'd finished cooking.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

What is "electric" in the shower in the first place?

Reply to
gfretwell