Proposed Project Check

In~~Evan's world, all things are or should be governed by some higher governmental agency. To him it's inconceivable that the building could possibly have twice as much electrical service as is necessary, therefore it's impossible that despite the removal of a kitchen, it could function properly on half

Reply to
RBM

I wouldn't think so. The power company simply turns off the meter (it's one of those new-fangled kinds that's read and manipulated remotely). The power company has thousands of disconnects (and re-connects) daily - they don't know whether I've rewired the place or a renter moved out.

Reply to
HeyBub

My understanding is that you want to join the two, then get the electric company out to essentially pull the second meter. If that is correct, and since you are messing with the EC's meter, you might want to ask them if they have internal requirements, not talking about code, but how THEY work. From my experience with local utils, they generally view such things as playing with the meters and the service drop with a very conservative (if you will excuse the expression) eye. You may not have problems with them, but then you again you might.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I could see the utility company requiring you to remove the standpipe, meter, and entrance cable. At the very least, I would think that the entrance cable would have to go, to prevent any possible accidents. I speculate this, because they have no way to know how or if you, or a future owner/tenant, has terminated the unused entrance feeder

Reply to
RBM

e:

And here we have another Evan classic. Now he says those of us that work on our own cars need some additional insurance of some kind. Where does one get this insurance so they can work on their own car? I guess I need to call my agent.

Why stop there? Let's extend it to any of us that do any work on our own homes too, because we could do something wrong. Evan, do you have such insurance? I think not, so you must not work on your own home. Since that is pretty much what this group is about, why the hell are you here?

You remind me of the robot from Lost in Space back in the 60s, running around out of control, arms flailing, "WARNING, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"

Now let us real men get back to work.

Reply to
trader4

not really. here in AZ, we have no vehicle inspection at ALL except when the car is titled. that tends to be once in it's lifetime, which for here could be 20-30 years ago. there isn't any great preponderance of accidents traced to faulty parts at all. most people know enough to keep their auto in good mechanical shape and don't really need a government nanny to test out our lights.

emissions just plugs into the plug and reads out the data for all cars newer than 96. all other non-diesel before that get dynotested every 2 years.

nothing else is inspected.

Reply to
chaniarts

In most places you can just pull the meter and drop it off at the PoCo (call for the right location). It is hooking them up that they care about. Blank cover the can and get on with your life. They may want to reseal the can or cut their drop. That is their business.

Personally I would call them and have them come for the meter and cut the drop. In the mean time, pull it, turn it 90 degrees so the jaws are not engaged, put the cover back on and do your work. Put a tywrap on the can.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just be sure they are not going to be sending you a bill for a service fee or some kind of taxes, simply because you still have the meter. You also need to disconnect the SE cable somehow.

Reply to
gfretwell

Probabl just hook it to the computer to see that bits are still moving. It wasn't usually[*] the emissions tests that were the license to steal, rather the safety checks. I got dinged $30 at least a half dozen times for "headlight aiming".

[*] There was one garage that would fail you if you'd swapped the engine in the car. "It's not the same engine the manufacturer used". Once dinged, it was impossible to get someone else to pass it.
Reply to
krw

I certainly hope Evan has a computer degree to use his PC. His insurance will never cover it.

Reply to
krw

Then I guess I don't see how it's any different than the inspector being an employee of whatever jurisdiction.

Reply to
krw

It is easier to sue a contract inspector and the state will not provide the attorney.

Theoretically I was covered by sovereign immunity but that doesn't even work for the state.

Reply to
gfretwell

Now that I think back, it was 1989 when I was there, the mechanic hooked a tailpipe sniffer up to check the exhaust emissions and the car passed. The funny thing was the mechanic was from Alabamastan and a town just a few miles from where I live now. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Emissions test in Alabamistan? When? Where? I've not heard of that.

Reply to
krw

It was in Californiastan where I had to have the car checked for excessive tailpipe emissions. The mechanic just happened to be from Alabamastan. There has been talk of forcing vehicular emission tests on the larger urban areas in Alabamastan by The EPA. I think it was discussed during the last P.L.L.C.F. infestation of The White House and U.S government. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas