Mitt fires Newt

Mitt Romney just slapped back hard at Newt Gingrich over his pitch for a moon colony and a bid to have private enterprise compete to build it, saying if he was running a corporation and an executive came to him and talked about having the firm build a lunar colony, "I'd say, 'You're fired.'"

He goes on to slap Newt for going state to state making promises for votes.

Right on Mitt!

Reply to
JimT

Mitt did a great job in that debate in coming on strong. He was a little too mild in the previous one in not confronting Newt head on. Newt's stock is rightfully sinking. He's not a bad guy but has too much baggage to be our nominee.

Reply to
Frank

You know to be a true independent I have to zing you and Heybub both for omitting OT from political posts.

Have pity on the Republicans and their "anyone but Romney" nominations. The eventually nominee will have been bludgeoned to near death by his close rivals.

In the meantime, you can't buy this kind of entertainment from the best scriptwriters in the world. Moonbases, Tiffany credit lines, and the nominee of the month. I suspect in just a few short years we'll be able to vote for a real genetic Reagan clone. Maybe our founding fathers were really prescient in demanding a natural born citizen - they knew clones were coming.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Mitt is too hawkish for me to vote for. FWIW: I'm voting for Paul in the primaries. After that I donno.

Paul is saying what I've been thinking since I was in the 4th grade in the early 60s. And I was brought up in a house full of democrats!

Reply to
JimT

> Mitt Romney just slapped back hard at Newt Gingrich over his pitch for a

Well thanks for the pity. You don't think the title says it all? Maybe I was having a problem with my cat Mitt and my frog Newt?

The moon line is going to be remembered for awhile and it probably should be focused more on things like Mitt's willingness to take us back into Iraq.

Reply to
JimT

Go ahead, abuse those who think differently from you with untruths and distortions.

I have NEVER started an off-topic thread without warning (I think I used the tag "HUMOR" once).

Further, I'm pretty sure I've never started a political post, period! If I have, I apologize, but I don't think I did.

Now a recent post I started DID deal with a politician decrying government involvement in light-bulbs, but that was just meant merely to illustrate that all rational people oppose the government's insistence on CFLs. The speaker could just have easily been a Nobel Prize winner, a holy man from the Far East, or an honest auto mechanic.

Reply to
HeyBub

Quoting from Obama's SOTU address apparently doesn't count with you but to me it seems like garden-variety political flamebait. Faintly tying it into previous politically-based discussions about the CFL law may count in your mind as non-political but it's perilously close to the old saw of a parent-killer asking the court for mercy because he's an orphan.

Now *that's* certainly political opinion unsubstantiated by the fact that both parties voted for it and Bush signed it. The saddest part of the CFL bulb business is that there are certainly far more important things on the table than the alleged tyranny of lights bulbs. Like the sudden interest R's developed for deficit reduction, it's just political theater. What's even more amusing is that if you're right that "all rational people" oppose the rule, then, by definition, Bush was irrational for signing it into law. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Sigh: I NEVER quoted from Obama's SOTU address. You just cannot get your shit straight. Show me:

  1. Where I quoted the SOTU, or
  2. Where I started a political thread, with or without, the "OT" designation.

If it seems I'm rising up in righteous indignation, I am. For purposes defying understanding, you have determined to cast me in some mold you find unacceptable. I will gladly accept corrections or criticism, but NOT for something I didn't do.

Of course the old saw may obtain: "It is difficult to tell the difference between malevolence and incompetence." If you admit to ignorance, sloth, or incompetence, then I'll withdraw my accusation of evil.

Observations:

  • My comments were not meant as a partisan POLITICAL statement, only that some politicians (also cab drivers, dog groomrs, pediatricians, et al) view the CFL debacle as abusive government meddling.

  • I agree there are many things - other than light bulbs - that need attention, but deficit reduction, to pick one example, is not tied directly to home repair.

  • You're right. The Republicans do have a sudden interest in deficit reduction. Now if we could convince the other party...

  • I agree Bush was irrational in approving the law.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sorry, my error. You quoted from Mitch Daniel's rebuttal to Obama's SOTU address by starting the OT thread "Best Line of the Night" - here it is:

---------------- From the rebuttal to the president's State of the Union address, by Mitch Daniels:

"In word and deed, the President and his allies tell us that we just cannot handle ourselves in this complex, perilous world without their benevolent protection. Left to ourselves, we might pick the wrong health insurance, the wrong mortgage, the wrong school for our kids; why, unless they stop us, we might pick the wrong light bulb!"

----------------

OK, so I got the side wrong. It was a RESPONSE to Obama's SOTU - a connection so tenuous to Alt.Home.Repair (except through OTHER OT threads on the subject) that to try to declare it somehow On Topic seems somewhat incredulous to me.

IMHO, it was improperly marked political flamebait. I'm sorry I got the side you quoted wrong, but that has little real impact on its off-topic nature. Worse, still, there's a strong implication this lightbulb business is all Obama's doing when in reality it was passed long before he got here by Bush and large numbers of both parties. See where MY righteous indignation comes from? Off-topic, meant to provoke flames and inaccurate. What's to like about that? (-"

As my cop friends used to say before administering a beat down on a suspect. "We know him - if he didn't do this, he certainly did something else worth a beating." (-:

When you quoted "the President and his allies tell us that . . . unless they stop us, we might pick the wrong light bulb!" it seems a somewhat self-evident dig at Obama and the D's alone, not acknowledging the CFL law had broad bi-partisan support, was signed by Bush and that Obama really had about as little to do with it as possible. Your righteous indignation at my accusations serves to illustrate that people don't like being blamed for things they didn't do and don't like to see people they respect being so blamed. The irony! (-: If I were writing a TV drama script, I'd be proud of the construct.

If that's what you want to believe, then go ahead. (-: I obviously didn't read it that way. As posted, it seems pretty obvious a political statement to me. As a famous Supreme Court Justice once said "Even a dog knows the difference between being stumbled over and being kicked. Obama's done a lot of dumb things that he deserves to be called out on. The lightbulb business, at least in my opinion, is something we can't pin on him honestly.

Regrettably, the politcal threads set up animosities that carry into on-topic threads with people looking to score points, often in compensation or retalliation for some previous exchange. Very few middle of the roaders participate so instead of discussion we get choir-preaching, back-slapping posts that shed very little light on anything important.

Even worse, the political threads often descend into name-calling, fact-free bullshi+ that's of little use to anyone except the damaged egos of those hurling the epithets. Many people (you for example) can argue the facts without, as they used to say on the jousting fields, "striking horse." Unfortunately plenty of people cannot and commit fouls and low blows almost as easily as they draw breath.

The "sudden interest" coincides with "a desire to score political points." They R's were not very worried about it *before* they lost the Whitehouse and ran up a significant portion of the deficit that they are gnashing teeth over these days. Once again it's "have mercy on us, we're orphans!"

OK - let's stop where we agree and I'll admit to riding you harder than you deserve. I've run an analysis and ironically, like me, we both have started very few OT political posts but we certainly aren't shy about responding to them which contributes to the erroneous assumption I and others have made. On the other hand I've identified the three posters here who post more OT stuff than all the other OT posters combined. I should have done that before beating up on you. I apologize. I'm sure you deserved the beating for something you've done in the past, though. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green