Propane rip-off: big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all the way

This is a really long thread, and I'm jumping in late, so maybe this has already been covered.

I don't see the rip-of factor here. A few months ago, in a fit of laziness and "I'm in a hurry" I went to the orange box and exchanged an empty Blue Rhino tank for a full AmeriGas tank. It was clearly marked on the AmeriGas tank that the tar weight was 17 lbs but that the net weight was 15 lbs.

It doesn't matter whether the exchange cost me $15, $25 or $250, the tank was marked with the weight of the contents and it was my choice to buy it or not. How is the consumer getting ripped off if they have all the information they need to make a decision?

On the other hand, I just came back from BJ's where I got a Blue Rhino can filled for $13.99. I took it home and weigh it: 35 lbs. So obviously I got my full 17 lbs (and a better deal) at BJ's than at the orange box, but in both cases I knew what I was getting for my money.

Read the label, or the unit pricing info, and if you get what is stated for the price marked, you didn't get ripped off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

-snip-

I don't know- but I'm always amazed at folks who own a $2000 BBQ & balk at a $20 tank to swap out.

I like charcoal myself- but I keep a few tanks around for torches, heaters and such.

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It doesn't matter whether the exchange cost me $15, $25 or $250, the tank was marked with the weight of the contents and it was my choice to buy it or not. How is the consumer getting ripped off if they have all the information they need to make a decision?

The problem comes in with regular customers. The tanks size was not changed and no notice of a change in weight was posted. Fact is, 99.9% of people that have been buying full tanks for the past 20 or 40 years don't look at the net weight every time they buy. Yes, legally they are covered, but you expect a gallon of milk to still contain a gallon. If they make the container smaller, OK, but they don't put 120 ounces of milk in a 128 ounce container. Sleazy at best.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No one complained about the price so much, but I don't like getting screwed or deceived for even a penny.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Had a kid at the local auto parts store overcharge me eighty cents on a six dollar purchase. When I brought it to his attention, he became very offended that I would waste his time for such a paltry sum.

I brought it up with the store manager the next time I was in there, an older fellow who had been with the store better than 20 years. He told me it was too bad, but if they replaced that kid, the next one would be just as bad, if not worse.

This is the world we live in.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

OK, but they don't put 120 ounces of milk in a 128 ounce

I've made inquiries of two different producers on this issue, and was told by both that the container size had to remain the same because of shelf space allotted by grocery chains.

Reply to
1D10T

On Sun 24 May 2009 05:20:14a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Sorry, Ed, I misunderstood.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If you are talking about milk, it is more the production and delivery system, than the shelf frontage. Those cute plastic cubes everyone likes to have follow them home, fit 4 gallons perfectly. The racks on the truck fit the plastic cubes, etc.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sorry I wasn't more clear Ed. My inquiry was about cereals.

This is part of a reply from Del Monte Foods Consumer Affairs concerning StarKist Tuna:

"Our decision to reduce the net weight of many of our StarKist Tuna products was not an easy one to make. Over the past several years, the cost of tuna - by far our largest single ingredient - has reached the highest level in history and, unfortunately, is not expected to decline. Along with all consumer packaged goods companies, we are seeing much steeper costs in virtually all ingredients and packaging materials. And while all of us are feeling the pain of higher fuel costs at home, this situation is also having a major impact on food manufacturers. For our canned products, it may be helpful to know that the reduction in the amount of the tuna is actually quite small. In most cases, we've taken out more of the liquid ingredients (such as water, oil, vegetable broth) than tuna. Also our 3 ounce and 12 ounce can sizes have not changed. Leading up to this decision, we challenged ourselves to reduce costs and improve the sustainability of our products by reducing waste in every aspect of our business. By lowering net weights and reducing packaging, we save two million gallons of water a year and a significant amount of fuel and transportation costs (equal to a reduction of two million miles). These changes were necessary so that we can continue to offer our products at a reasonable price."

How does the above reply answer my question of them as to why the size was reduced, with the price remaining the same? (Not to mention the current 50% lower cost of fuel.)

Joe Arnold Still pissed with being judged a fool.

Reply to
1D10T

Sorry aem, didn't mead Ed.

Reply to
1D10T

Think of all the gasoline you'll save, going to the store.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Jon Danniken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

it's interesting how the threads drift OT.... but hard to keep up with,especially when someone top posts.

Which ISNT Usenet convention.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

re: The problem comes in with regular customers

I'm a regular customer...been buying propane for a long, long time. They didn't fool me.

re: no notice of a change in weight was posted

Hmm...maybe I got a very special tank of AmeriGas 'cuz it is clearly posted on the label. It's sitting on my deck next to my grill. Stop over and take a look. I might even throw a steak on the grill for you.

re: Fact is, 99.9% of people that have been buying full tanks for the past 20 or 40 years don't look at the net weight every time they buy.

And for that reason the store has to post a change in the net weight? Where? Should they take an ad out in the paper? Should they get on the local news? Should they post a big sign over the metal bin that holds the propane saying "Attention! You are only getting 15 lbs for your $20, not 17 like you used to."?

It's been caveat emptor for as long as I can remember.

Can you imagine the labor it would take if the buying public had to be notified with a sign or notice every time an item that used to be "this" is now "that"? That's what labels and unit pricing tags are for. Be an educated consumer and do your homework.

re: but they don't put 120 ounces of milk in a 128 ounce container

But they *can* as long as they mark it as such. I have certainly seen containers that are not as full as they used to be, but the label told me how much I was getting and how much I was paying for that amount.

Oh wait, I got a better idea. Let's have them re-tool the propane tank factories to make the tanks smaller. That way a tank with 15 lbs in it will be full. Of course, they'll have to raise the price even higher to cover the cost of re-tooling and manufacturing all the new tanks, but at least the tanks will be full. Will that make you happy?

People have no problem responding with RTFM when somebody asks something technical, but apparently nobody is obligated to RTFL.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Let's see, If I get 14 sq ft into which I can put X number of 128 oz containers, don't I still get 14 sq ft into which I can put X + y number of 120 oz containers?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Incorrect, again.

Reply to
salty

re: Try to find one that charges you by the unit instead of a flat rate.

I'm not sure how they do it these days, but I stopped going to my local U-Haul *because* they switched to charging by the unit.

I never top off my tanks. I have a spare "20 pounder" and always go for a full fill or an exchange. I used to go to a local U-Haul 'cuz they had the best price for a full fill. Then one day I went in and they told me they were no longer allowed to charge me for a full tank unless they actually dispensed a full tank. I had to go in, wait for an attendant to become available, get the tank filled and then go back in and wait for a cashier to ring up the exact amount that was dispensed. No more pre-pay, fill-up and I'm on my way.

It only took 1 time of having to wait until someone when through all the crap you have to go through to rent a truck before I could "order" my propane, then wait for some other employee to become available to fill it, then go back in and wait until someone else when through all the crap you have to go through to rent a truck before I could pay for my full tank, for me say "no-way, the hassle is not worth the lower price."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

These are OPD tanks and they certainly get liquid out.

Reply to
gfretwell

[...]

*******************

Be careful on letting tanks go completely empty. They'res some charge for "purging" them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Near me there are stations that only sell full service and are competitive with only self service. In the winter, that's a lot of business opportunity for the full service. The difference between full and self is moot with respect to propane, since all propane sales are "full service."

Reply to
Karla

Not only am I correct, I explained my position and why I am correct. Unfortunately for you, blindly claiming something is incorrect does not make it so.

Reply to
Karla