Porter Cable 617 Circular Saw question

I have a PC 617 "7 1/4" Heavy Duty Builder's Saw".

There is an adjustment knob on the back between the grip and the blade, at the end of a 3" post. A picture of it is at

I know it is a dirty knob, but I was thinking more in terms of what does it adjust? I foolishly turned it, thinking it was something else, and now I don't know where it was.

Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Its a grease cap, you remove cap fill with grease and tighten, Dont tell me you never greased it , Oh well , I have one thats how I know.

Reply to
mark Ransley

That really isnt a knob. It is a cover for grease. you fill that with grease and turn it in to squeeze it into the motor.

Reply to
PAUL100

Thats a grease cup. Just remove it all the way fill the cup with a lighweight grease and screw the cup back on but not all the way. As you use the saw like every week or so give the cup a full turn to force more grease into the gear box. When it bottoms out remove it and refill it and repeat the process.

Reply to
Randd01

That seems easy enough. Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Its a better deal than " Permantly lubed bearings" Because yours are Lubed. Forever, as need be. I own the Rockwell version. So it will last , if you lube it.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Ever the moron. btw, Making an ass out of yourself in the "Creating a

220 circuit" thread was quite entertaining. Many thanks!
Reply to
Mongo Lloyd